PDA

View Full Version : Hello!:) Sharing a few concerns

jheanelle
06-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone! Just saw this forum and decided to join. I am 19 and was diagnosed with lupus back in March. It happened at the worse possible time for me, as this was nearing the end of the semester literally! I had one week of classes left then all I had to do was the exams and I would have been finished. I was an emotional wreck after leaving the hospital and not fully understanding what was happening. It was just hard dealing with newly being diagnosed and sorting out things for school. I did get my exams deferred until August so that's good!
I feel like the prednisone has kept the disease under control for the most part. I haven't been having serious pains, I'm just mostly tired and I think there is an issue with my heart. Prednisone has caused my muscles in my thighs to become very weak so I try to go for short walks every other day to strengthen them. I am also an amputee, so there's lots to get used to. I'm also trying to cope with my hair shedding which is so annoying, and my hair has become dry looking and brittle. I try to stay positive and happy but I am hoping everything remains this positive in time for school in September. I will definitely have to try to find a new methods of coping with stress! I will be entering my third year in university and I'm hoping for a smooth experience!

tgal
06-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi Jheanelle! Let me take a moment to welcome you to WHL. You have stumbled upon a WONDERFUL group of people that are always so very supportive. We understand that this disease can be difficult to deal with but we have found that having a supportive group of people around helps. You did get your information at a bad time! I am so glad that the school worked with you on the exam issue. I know that if you had to worry about all of that on top of everything else your stress level would have been even worse.

Please make yourself at home. Look through the old threads or start new ones if you wish. I look forward to getting to know you and, once again, welcome to the WHL family!

Gizmo
06-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Welcome! As Mari said, this is a wonderful group of people who have so much to share: information, experience, support and good old fashioned caring.

I have a 19 year old daughter with an autoimmune disorder, among other things. She really struggled in high school and tried to attend college, but was too ill. I have lots of experience in dealing with schools in the U.S. and disabilities and would be glad to offer information and support if you need it.

missfearless
06-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi I'm a teenager as well and I understand how you feel. Our lives will never be the same again but I believe He will protect us and give us the strength to get through each day. I'm still learning to control my lupus but one piece of advice I can give you is that you should always take your medicine (I learned it the hard way!). Stay strong!

xoxo

tgal
06-25-2011, 08:20 PM
LOL I have to tell this...

We have such wonderful people from all over the world but, being from the US, my first thought is that someone is from the US also. When reading your post I was taken aback when you said "university". It stopped me and made me scroll back up because I thought "ohhh she isn't from here!". Linda would love you though. Linda constantly tells us USA folks that we don't know how to speak or write!

ritzbit
06-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Welcome =) I know what you mean. I'm 18 and just graduated. Getting my final term of school completed was really difficult because I too became sick in March and missed about a month of school. I'm so happy you got your exams moved; what a weight to be lifted off your shoulders while you were sick! I hope that you will be feeling much better before September.

lovedbyHim
06-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi and welcome to great group of people who can encourage and root for you as you try to finish school. I'm so glad you found these supportive folks!

steve.b
06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
i would also like to say hi, and welcome.

Dance in the Rain
06-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Hello & welcome. I am glad your were able to get your exams deferred. I think you'll find some great support here, I already have and haven't been here long myself.
Cheers,
D

Peridot20_Gem
06-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Hello jheanelle,

Welcome to our large family of WHL and it's lovely to have you with us.

Sorry to hear about the Lupus coming about when doing your exams but it's great how they've sorted it for August...i'm 42 and always feel sorry from the bottom of my heart when young member's such as yourself join with the Disease.
It's nice to hear how you feel the prednisone is helping but the tiedness does come alot with Lupus besides foggy brain.

This might sound silly being a manic depressive myself but i always say it to ther member's hoping it helps...try and keep carm refering stress because Lupus thrieves on that and depression and can make your symptoms feel abit more than what they actually are.

Hairloss is common with Lupus and the meds but as long as you can try and stay positive you'll get through it slowly.

Hugs Terry xxx