PDA

View Full Version : To the Mommies with Lupus (Birth/Labour stories?)

bunny28
06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
So my little boy turns 3 today and I think about his arrival...which happened before I was diagnosed. Anyway, I remember that my labour and delivery was a bit different than so many of my friends and it occurred to me that this may have been because (at least in part) of Lupus. So I ask, if any Moms would like to share their birth stories...Hopefully we won't scare those Mommies-to-be but perhaps we will find similarities.

I will wait to share more details but will say for now that labour started on a Tuesday, and my son was born by c-section on Thursday night just before midnight. Things didn't progress like anyone thought they would and I was even sent home a few times. I am very grateful for the hospital staff as I now believe they made the wisest decision to have the c-section when they did. My body wasn't "following" the book and I think I had them stumped. I am even more glad in restropect that this time, they didn't think my body knew best and that they safely delivered my darling little boy to me in the best way they knew how at the time.

Anyone else..."normal" or not? it's sort of fun to reminice.

BTW, now that I have a lupus diagnosis, if I were to have more children, I would be considered high-risk from the start and be followed very closely....(Oh that is actually because not only to the lupus diagnosis but specifically because I am anti-Ro positive - that's one of the possible anti-bodies we can have (but don't all have) and it seems to be the most troublesome in terms of successful pregnancies.)

Learning that I am anti-Ro positive (just recently found out) has also helped me to understand why I had pregnancy losses.

My son is one of the miracles in my life and I am so very blessed.

Happy Birthday Little One!

Gizmo
06-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I had pre-term labor with both of my girls. I started feeling contractions at 16 weeks with each. The first time I was working full time and getting ready to move. Long story short, I made it to our new city and was in the hospital a week later dialated to 3cm at 28 weeks. My baby girl was born at 36 weeks with fully developed lungs. With the second baby I put myself on very limited activity at 20 weeks. I was on terbutaline to stop contractions from about 24 weeks until 36 weeks then my beautiful daughter was born full term. With that baby I had one really strong contraction on my way to my regular OB appointment, and when I got there I was dilated to 5 cm. By the time I walked over to the maternity unit and got in a gown I was at 7, but no contractions (after 4months of having them!). They actually had to give me drugs so I would have contractions to push the baby out. Go figure!

steve.b
06-20-2011, 01:36 AM
i am a father, so i do not have a story to add.

but i would like to say happy birthday, to your miracle

Peridot20_Gem
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm not a mother but Happy birthday to your special little boy.

((Hugs is way Terry)) xxxx

tgal
06-20-2011, 10:12 AM
I promise no one here wants to hear my birth story. I had 4 miscarriages before I had my daughter. I had a cone biopsy (meaning I lost a large part of my cevix) before I became pregnant. I then could not GET pregnant and I had to go on fertility drugs. FINALLY got pregnant and I couldn't hold my potassium and I kept losing the fluid around her. While I had a very difficult pregnancy my delivery was EASY! Most people hate me when they hear it. LOL

My mother came down to visit for Mother's day and we went out to eat. She spent the night and when I woke the next morning I couldn't feel Ash moving. Due to all the problems I had during the previous 9 months I called my doctor. He said he was sure it was fine but to come on in. I got to his office around 11AM and when he checked me out he became really quiet and said "Mari, are you feeling any pain at all?" I said no and he stated "Well, you should be because you are in labor. You are so much in labor that you have to go to the hospital now". I said "Well I am not going to the hospital until I eat because I know you won't let me eat when I get there " (I was one of those difficult patients who wanted it all natural but had to have a mixture due to problems. The doctor and I had agreed to let me go on the monitors for 20 min. and if all was well I could come off for 40 and walk to help labor). He said to eat but make it fast! I got a bite to eat, went and checked in the hospital and was in my room about 1PM. I felt fine all afternoon and walked the halls. Was in a bad mood and cranky but no pain at all. At 6:30PM I tossed both mothers out of the room and went to take a shower because my back was hurting a little (kind of like I was on my period). When I got out of the shower I went to lay down and they hooked me up to the monitor and for the first time it went across the top of the page showing a strong contraction and the nurse said "Oh you might have this baby by midnight". "Hell no!" was what I said. I can't do this til midnight I just want to push. (She ignored me because she was mad about the 3 pages of rules the doc and I had agreed upon LOL). Thankfully my doctor was walking by the door when I mentioned the pushing thing and he kind of jogged in my room while tossing on his coat and he said "Whatever you do DON'T push! Her head is coming out and we have to take this bed apart first!". They changed the bed from a regular bed to a birthing bed and I started to do the "breathing pattern" and my doctor looked up at me and said "Girl, it is too late for that. Now you just need to push". Ash was born at 7:14PM

To sum it up... 30 min. of moderate lower back pain and 3 contractions before my daughter was born. To make it worse I sent her dad with her while they checked her out and jumped back in the shower to clean off. Her dad went to sleep and I stayed up with her all night. We left for home at 7AM the next morning!

ruziska
06-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Both my kids were high risk pregnancies. My pregnancy with my now 22 year old was miserable. Morning sickness 24/7 the first trimester, bronchitis shortly after starting the 2nd trimester which lasted the duration. My ankles where the size of my thighs and my fingers went numb so the docs stuck me in splints (oh the stories I made up to mess with people!). 2 days shy of 34 weeks I went toxemic. Blood pressure through the roof. Stress test showed that when I had a contraction, baby's heart stopped. Emergency c section. 2 lb 11 oz of gorgeous spitfire! Pregnancy #2 was deemed high risk from day one. 7 biophysical profiles, constant blood tests, bi weekly doctor's visits. Doc said no way was I allowed to go to due date. Placenta aged too rapidly. No reason ever given. Daughter induced 3 weeks early, tried for vbac but too many decelerations so had another c sec. 6 lb 8 oz of adorable.
TGal and I chatted online one night and we shared stories. She told me about antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Suddenly it all made sense.
"Babies" are now 22 and 18 and in perfect health. I've been blessed.

tgal
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Both my kids were high risk pregnancies. My pregnancy with my now 22 year old was miserable. Morning sickness 24/7 the first trimester, bronchitis shortly after starting the 2nd trimester which lasted the duration. My ankles where the size of my thighs and my fingers went numb so the docs stuck me in splints (oh the stories I made up to mess with people!). 2 days shy of 34 weeks I went toxemic. Blood pressure through the roof. Stress test showed that when I had a contraction, baby's heart stopped. Emergency c section. 2 lb 11 oz of gorgeous spitfire! Pregnancy #2 was deemed high risk from day one. 7 biophysical profiles, constant blood tests, bi weekly doctor's visits. Doc said no way was I allowed to go to due date. Placenta aged too rapidly. No reason ever given. Daughter induced 3 weeks early, tried for vbac but too many decelerations so had another c sec. 6 lb 8 oz of adorable.
TGal and I chatted online one night and we shared stories. She told me about antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Suddenly it all made sense.
"Babies" are now 22 and 18 and in perfect health. I've been blessed.

Oh Yeah! I forgot to mention all the hospital stays! It was 9 months of a nightmare but luckily the actual delivery was a breeze!

bunny28
06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone! It sounds like I was fairly lucky with my relatively healthy pregnancy and delivery.

After my miscarriages, which unfortunately my body wasn't able to complete all on its own, I met an OB/GYN who agreed to take me on as soon as I got pregnant. I was part of another forum then and had friends who had also had multiple miscarriages. Here they won't test until you have a certain number and age for a reason as to why you are miscarrying. I had heard of a few things to try (ie medications) so I approached my doctor about them. She was so wonderful and she told me they may not help but they wouldn't hurt (in my case at least), so she let me try them. I credit that decision as well as the ultimate c-section one with my having a son to hold. The 9 months were not as eventful as some of yours but there were absolutely emotional roller-coasters including the possibility of a genetic disorder that would have meant Liam would have lived only a week or two at most. Luckily further testing revealed a lower than originally thought risk for this and much of the pregnancy followed in relative uneventfulness.

Thanks for all the birth stories. One of my docs said in surgery that "This baby never would have come out on his own." which struck me as odd then and I still wondered about it. I never progressed beyond 5 cm of dilation even with over 48 hours of labour. At one point a nurse told me " Sweetie, your contractions are too strong and lasting too long for it to be progressing at all", "Umm, thanks| and shortly thereafter they sent me home. Sounds like that might just have been crazy me and not lupus related, lol...I was just curious.

giggle
06-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I think I have shared mine a few times : )

The birth of my daughter was the reason I was diagnosed. At 7 months I went to the hospital with some bleeding... apparently at this point I was having contractions and was dilated 8cms! lol Didn't even know I was in labour. I had a 40cm+ fibroid tumour... so had to have an emergency caesar. After a complicated caesar, the following day I collapsed, had had a multiple pulmonary embolism. Six clots all up I think it was, in my heart and lungs. It was at this stage they put two and two together, with my medical history, facial rash, UV sensitivity, clotting, joint pain and positive blood tests... ended up diagnosed with lupus.

I think thats the shortest description I have ever given lol There were other serious complications around it that I left out. The tumour ruptured and I had a major metabolism shut down... not that I had proper care at the time. I shudder when I think about how terrible all the doctors were. Like amatures they just had no idea.

bunny28
06-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks Giggle!

I have a friend who was also diagnosed due to her daughter's birth. How scary and traumatic for you. Thanks for sharing.