PDA

View Full Version : Breathing problems

Nonna
06-18-2011, 03:29 AM
I was wondering about breathing problems; the last 4 months have been very hard for me. I can't breathe without coughing. My doc has been treating it as usual. But I was thinking that this time it's worse. I can't even climb the stairs without stopping to rest. My fatigue levels are way up. I'm probably not getting much oxygen. I think she is going to send me to a pulmenologist (sp?). This doesnot feel like my usual long term bronchitis. The cough also isn't helping with the bad tummy - also threw up several times. This is not fun.

Does anyone else have anything like this?

Linda From Australia
06-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Nonna I know when my asthma is playing up, or I have a cold I also have a frequent upset tummy. I put it down to the possibility that I may be swallowing some phlegm. How has your peak flow been? I suppose your doctor has been taking some regular measurements

lovedbyHim
06-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Hi Nonna, I'm sorry you feel so ill today. Here are the reasons I get cough spells thus far. Asthma of course, inflammation, and lately the meds they give me to treat me, repress my lungs and then I cough until I almost throw up. When I use my inhaler it quiets down. I hope the doc can figure it out as it is exhausting for you I am sure!

Linda From Australia
06-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Be very careful when you have a constant chronic cough. I coughed so much that I actually broke one of my ribs in 2009. AND this is with a bone density of two standard deviations higher than the top level for a woman at the age of 25, and I am 48. I wasn't coughing violently which can cause a break in a rib, it was the constant coughing that weakened the rib apparently. So even though you may have a high bone density you can still break a rib from constant coughing. Also, you must remember not to take any codeine as it works as a cough suppressant, and when you have asthma, you need to cough up the phlegm, otherwise you risk getting pneumonia.

Summary:
You need to cough when you have asthma so you don't get pneumonia
But if you do cough to avoid pneumonia, you risk breaking a rib.

Conclusion:
Spin your head around a few times and pray a bit, you need to get those horrible things out of your life!

Oh that spinning head comment is for the other thread, about headaches - I think. Anyway, I hope you get what I am saying. Sometimes you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't ... so do whatever you think is best

lovedbyHim
06-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Oh my gosh! I have a high bone density and broke my rib 5 years ago from bronchitis. Hope you feel better soon. Yes the head spinning was from another thread. Lol Linda you are a crackup!

steve.b
06-18-2011, 06:35 AM
i love your humour linda.

noona, i hope you can rest between the coughs.

Linda From Australia
06-18-2011, 06:42 AM
I love the way you actually spell humour Steve, good boy, I will give you an A+

Peridot20_Gem
06-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Oh our linda is full of wit today...get ready everyone.

Peridot20_Gem
06-18-2011, 07:05 AM
I was wondering about breathing problems; the last 4 months have been very hard for me. I can't breathe without coughing. My doc has been treating it as usual. But I was thinking that this time it's worse. I can't even climb the stairs without stopping to rest. My fatigue levels are way up. I'm probably not getting much oxygen. I think she is going to send me to a pulmenologist (sp?). This doesnot feel like my usual long term bronchitis. The cough also isn't helping with the bad tummy - also threw up several times. This is not fun.

Does anyone else have anything like this?Hi Nonna,

I've got bronchitis like yourself and i smoke 15 fags a day and the Lupus since it's progressed as caused me swelling in the back of my lungs and like yourself the coughing episodes are of a morning and while in bed.

I went to the doctor's a month and half ago to be tested for OCPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and another but she did'nt mention the name, i got through the first test and on the 2nd failed, she said my lung capacity is'nt strong enough and as given me another new inhaler but steriod based to help my lungs.

I can't say 100% mate as you know but just check that the Lupus is'nt interfering with you also and causing this.

Nonna i'll add a link below refering to lung diseases and read through them and see if any seem like what your going through, as it's terrible enough with the pain we go through without the breathing ontop mate.

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/lungdiseases.html

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

Nonna
06-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Thank you all for your support. Linda I'd laugh my head off if I could. Your Humor today has been beyond outstanding - Thank you for being you

debbie-b
06-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Hi Nonna,

I have benn having alot of shortness of breath lately, I can't walk fast, walk up the stairs, or do anything exerting, without having to cough or not being able to take a deep breath.
I do have mild asthma, but when I get short of breath, the inhaler does not help, only rest does.
But off course I am a smoker, so the doctor blames it on that.
I asked him, why do so many non smokers, with Lupus have the same problem?
He could not give me an answer.

Debbie

Peridot20_Gem
06-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Nonna, your welcome mate and as'nt our Linda really come alive today...she wants to tell we what she's popping on the extra.lol

ritzbit
06-18-2011, 03:24 PM
http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_donate.aspx?a=291&z=6&page=4

This has some useful info. Dont know if any of those could be your cause.

Peridot20_Gem
06-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Hello Nonna,

How you been feeling since you started your thread...as breathing problems can be such a nightmare.

Thinking of you Terry xxx

Nonna
06-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the helpful info. I finally got my new insurance card in the mail si I can go see the Doctor. At this point I just don't know; I'm so tired. I'll updated after I've seen her.

Hugs

Peridot20_Gem
06-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Toni,

I'm so pleased your new insurance as come through and i wish you all the very best seeing the Doctor and i really hope it's nothing serious.

Hugzzzzzzzz Terry xxx

Nonna
06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Well she upped the dosage of symbicort and did an X-ray of my lungs. She wasn't happy with the results ; she is sending the X-rays to a radiologist for further study. It appears I have fibrous tissue, clouding, scarring or some sort of issue.

I'll just have to wait and see

ritzbit
06-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Hopefully its nothing to serious! I hope you find out soon.

lovedbyHim
06-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi Nona, gosh I'm sorry you feel so crappy. I'm also sorry about the X-rays. You must be so disappointed. I pray it is something that can be dwelt with and they can bring you relief.

tgal
06-20-2011, 09:10 PM
I am so sorry Nonna! I have been thinking of you as I sit here with all my breathing issues! I know that you know how bad I feel because I haven't been playing our "words with friends" game. Hopefully meds will kick in and I can go back to trying to kick your booty in the games!

Keep us posted on the doctor, please

Nonna
06-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Mari just feel better. I can wait to kick YOUR butt. I'll beat you yet.

Everyone thanks for your thoughts

Peridot20_Gem
06-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Well she upped the dosage of symbicort and did an X-ray of my lungs. She wasn't happy with the results ; she is sending the X-rays to a radiologist for further study. It appears I have fibrous tissue, clouding, scarring or some sort of issue.

I'll just have to wait and seeHi Toni,

Sorry to hear the outcome mate and i've looked up what you've put and it's Lung Fibrosis...here's some info and the site link.

Luv Terry xxx

Lung Fibrosis

Lung Fibrosis, also known as Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, results in the scarring of the lung tissue. This disease is caused by the reaction of the body to foreign elements. The Alveoli (air sacs) become inflamed and develop scars on the lung tissue in an attempt to repair itself.

Alveoli help the lungs breathe and release carbon dioxide. When the air sacs are scarred, the lung tissue is gradually replaced by fibrous tissue, which prevents the alveoli sacs from inhaling oxygen. The lung tissues harden causing shortness of breath, chronic dry cough, and discomfort in the chest. An inflammation of the lung tissue is a first sign of this disease.

This scarring of the lung tissue results in the permanent loss of transporting oxygen to the body. The more scarring of the tissue occurs, the less likely the patient will be able to breathe properly. The formation of scar tissue diminishes the ability of the alveolar sacs to function properly.

Inhaling asbestos, ground stone, or metal dust can cause lung fibrosis. Sarcoidosis and certain medications also cause lung fibrosis. However, in a majority of the cases the direct cause of this disease is unknown.

In order to properly diagnose this disease, a careful examination of the patient's environmental and occupational history, hobbies, legal and illegal drug use, arthritis, and risk factors that may affect the immune system must be performed. Blood tests, chest x-rays, bronchoalveolar lavage test, and a lung biopsy are performed depending on stage of the disease. A lung biopsy is the most effective test for lung fibrosis, where a sample of your lung tissue is removed for further diagnosis.

Five million people worldwide are affected by lung fibrosis. Typically, this disease affects people in their forties or fifties but range from age seven into the eighties. However, most patients do not know that they have Lung Fibrosis until several years later.

Currently there is no effective treatment to battle this disease, probably because the origin of lung fibrosis is not known, and may vary from patient to patient. For now, supplemental oxygen, drug treatments, and lung transplants seem to be the only remedy to prolong life. The average survival rate for this disease is five to seven years after diagnosis.

www.wisegeek.com/what-is-lung-fibrosis.htm

Nonna
07-24-2011, 05:01 AM
Well I was back at the doctor the beginning of July and they thought pneumonia but now after a month of antibiotics and the steroid inhaler, I'm okay but still need the inhaler. If I stop that I get croopy and have to cough. I go back this week. We shall see.

I'm home from my trip to see my little grandsons and have tested my limits for vacationing. 5 days straight I was able to do and go. Day 6 I flared. Not I know how to plan.

Greetings and hugs to all

lovedbyHim
07-24-2011, 05:08 AM
Hi Nonna, sorry you still have lung issues. I use an inhaler most in the night as I awaken with asthma coughing. I hope you get some relief soon.

Peridot20_Gem
07-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Well I was back at the doctor the beginning of July and they thought pneumonia but now after a month of antibiotics and the steroid inhaler, I'm okay but still need the inhaler. If I stop that I get croopy and have to cough. I go back this week. We shall see.

I'm home from my trip to see my little grandsons and have tested my limits for vacationing. 5 days straight I was able to do and go. Day 6 I flared. Not I know how to plan.

Greetings and hugs to allHello Toni,

Well i've got to say it mate i am pleased it ah pneumonia, had that a few times myself and your in cooko land besides it draging you down.
Keep with the inhaler mate, they ah long added me onto another steriod inhaler...really they should just give me a gas bottle to save the morning.lol
When you go back are they going to test for any lung diseases mate...i've got to ask my doc's about another one but i cough at night as soon as i put my head down.

I am pleased you saw your grandsons and also judging your vacation time but it's terrible getting back and now a flare.

You take it steady mate and all my love Terry xxx

GeoKasher
07-25-2011, 04:16 AM

I had this same experience with my first known flare of Lupus. I would climb the 16 stairs to our bedroom and have to lie down on the bed to recuperate before I could go brush my teeth. My heart would be pounding out of my chest. I would get worn out taking a shower and have to rest afterward. It was terrible.

Nonna
07-25-2011, 04:31 AM
Without the steroid inhaler I can't make it halfway up the stairs. Good luck to us all

Peridot20_Gem
07-26-2011, 04:16 AM
Toni, without mine mate i would'nt make it anywhere and my hubby goes mad with me smoking but to me i might have this lot but life goes on and just having a fag helps me cope with the lot.

What a lovely saying mate "Good luck to us all"...because that's a great statement with what we all go through.

Hugs Terry xxx

Nonna
07-30-2011, 04:14 AM
Breathing issue is resolved; it appears I work in a poor environment at work. I did very well away from the office; but within 4 hours of going back to work last Monday I was back to Day 1. The doctor agrees. So I am to s our my desk, get an air purifier and maybe a mask. I have to try to clean up my area as best I can and take my antihistamines regularly again. Wonder if they slow down our overactive immune systems.

Hugs to all
Toni

steve.b
07-30-2011, 04:50 AM
i am glad you have found out what it was.
working in a mask every day ?

hope you can sort it out.

Nonna
08-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Resolved - Ha! This morning I'm going in for a CT scan. Wondering if this will ever end????

Feeling very helpless at the moment; I just want to feel better. Is that asking too much?! If this isn't over soon I'll develope a full case of depression.

Need to hydrate, be back later to let y'all know how it went.

lovedbyHim
08-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Resolved - Ha! This morning I'm going in for a CT scan. Wondering if this will ever end????

Feeling very helpless at the moment; I just want to feel better. Is that asking too much?! If this isn't over soon I'll develope a full case of depression.

Need to hydrate, be back later to let y'all know how it went.

Hi There! I wondered how you have been. Gosh I hope it is clear as to what is going on. It does wear on you being sick for so long. Please know you are not alone.

Nonna
08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
CT report read unremarkable scan. Ha! What is that supposed to mean. Well, atleast I know the pneumonia is gone. Back to allergies and environment .

I now understand everyone frustrations with the medics who don't communicate.
Wish me luck, I need it now

steve.b
08-03-2011, 11:05 PM
( ( ( h u g s ) ) )