PDA

View Full Version : Is there a mono or a puberty connection? (two questions)

EmAli
06-16-2011, 05:48 AM
OK.....this is a double question.
1. How many of you can trace back minor symptoms to not long after puberty began?
2. How many of you have had mono as a child or a teenager?

I know mono is very common in childhood, but I contracted it at 12 years old. I almost feel like I have never recovered since then. Then again it may not be the mono because mono is common and quite a few people recover never to have problems again.

I also feel like puberty caused my body to start working against itself. I was such a healthy child full of energy and not long after puberty manic depressive episodes began along with fatigue, headaches, stomach problems, and very frequent urination (I am not diabetic, I have been tested). I know everyone has these problems in puberty, but they didn't seem to be as severe in others. In turn this caused me to be distant and withdraw because I didn't want to be accused of "being ridiculous" (my family is great at accusing people of that).

steve.b
06-16-2011, 05:56 AM
the onset of puberty, is at the age that some people also experience the onset of auto immune disorders.

it is possible that these symptoms happenned because of lupus not puberty.

EmAli
06-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Ok, I have been reading on the internet and quite a few people who have been diagnosed with lupus and other autoimmune disorders have had mono (most of them). Interesting and I will tell the doctor about my mono. The only thing I hate about doing that (telling the doctor) is you never know if the doctor will get p*ssed off due to an inflated ego or listen and try to fit the pieces of the puzzle.

Peridot20_Gem
06-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Hi EmAli,

Steve's right in what he says it may have nothing to do with puberty but can be the onset of the diease starting.

When i was 14yrs old i used to go into Autissum states and never had a clue what i'd done and when i was 18 i had manic depression and still have it, bad headaches which was linked to my seizures and also my lupus now but to come around to what steve stated, is i was born with Lupus and was only diagnosed 3yrs ago but from the age of 5yrs old onwards i've add sometimes which connected to lupus but never new it and it all started around my puberty time.

Refering Mono never had it but i do hope your able to sort it with your doctor.

EmAli
06-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi EmAli,

Steve's right in what he says it may have nothing to do with puberty but can be the onset of the diease starting.

When i was 14yrs old i used to go into Autissum states and never had a clue what i'd done and when i was 18 i had manic depression and still have it, bad headaches which was linked to my seizures and also my lupus now but to come around to what steve stated, is i was born with Lupus and was only diagnosed 3yrs ago but from the age of 5yrs old onwards i've add sometimes which connected to lupus but never new it and it all started around my puberty time.

Refering Mono never had it but i do hope your able to sort it with your doctor.

Hi Peridot, thanks for your response! You mention you were born with lupus....maybe I am in the dark, is everyone born with lupus? Also, you said you had stages of autism and had no idea why. Did you suffer from some sort of ADD? I remember doing well in school but particularly in the 2nd and 3rd grade I would just zone out in school for the entire day and I was sooooo sleepy even after sleeping up to 12 hours. Thank god I had a great after school sitter who used to tutor me and gave me that one on one I needed. Eventually this passed and maybe it was an age thing...but it didn't seem that other kids had this problem.

Peridot20_Gem
06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Hello EmAli,

Not everyone is born with Lupus, it's usually 20% who inherite the condition from parent's as it's geneteic, i was freezing cold from the age of 5yrs onwards that was down to my Raynauds and never knew and since 14 onwards had loads of stuff which Lupus causes and now i have A1 Diseases overlapping Autoimmune Diseases and they're working their hardest in my body, i'm just totally drained out.

When i suffered the autissum it was due to Temporal-lobe epilepsy which never showed properly till i was 18 besides grandmal epilepsy.

giggle
06-16-2011, 03:25 PM
My sister got EBV (mono) when she was 16. She has chronic fatigue as a result. Chronic fatigue is common from EBV at a later age. Most people get EBV when they are children, from family members by sharing food etc... the majority of the population has it, but it only becomes a serious condition when you get it at later stages.

You need to understand, EBV does not cause lupus. Neither does anything that we are aware of.

However... trauma does bring out lupus in those predisposed to lupus. For example, I had my first major signs of lupus during pregnancy... but I had had indicators since childhood that I had lupus. Puberty can also be traumatic to some individuals and therefor can bring on lupus.
So in this sense, 'mono' being very taxing on the body could bring out your lupus. : ) It certainly hit my sister hard.

bunny28
06-17-2011, 06:29 AM
I didn't read all of the replies but my symptoms got worse after I was told I had "Mono"....Truth is now though that I have been told that LUPUS can cause A FALSE POSITIVE for MONO and it is possible I never had it, rather I was in a flare.

debbie-b
06-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I was told by my doctor, since I had hepatits ( don't know which one, A,B or C, my Mom died in 1996, nobody else has the info). But because I had the hepatitis at age 5, it is possible, that my Autoimmune system went into overdrive and went out of control and started the Lupus.

Debbie

Peridot20_Gem
06-19-2011, 05:30 PM
I was told by my doctor, since I had hepatits ( don't know which one, A,B or C, my Mom died in 1996, nobody else has the info). But because I had the hepatitis at age 5, it is possible, that my Autoimmune system went into overdrive and went out of control and started the Lupus.

DebbieHi Debbie,

To find out which Hepatits you have, it's just a simple blood test mate and they'll let you know when the results come back...your GP can do it for you. xxx

giggle
06-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Hepatitis does not need to be hep-virus based. Hepatitis is the inflammation of your liver. If you had it as a child, it is more likely than anything a result of other illness, sometimes drug induced or an indication of liver disease or autoimmune disease. My sister developed hepatitis as a complication of EBV.

This is taken from wiki...

"Hepatitis (plural hepatitides) is a medical condition defined by the inflammation of the liver and characterized by the presence of inflammatory cells in the tissue of the organ. The name is from the Greek hepar (ἧπαρ), the root being hepat- (ἡπατ-), meaning liver, and suffix -itis, meaning "inflammation" (c. 1727).[1] The condition can be self-limiting (healing on its own) or can progress to fibrosis (scarring) and cirrhosis.

Hepatitis may occur with limited or no symptoms, but often leads to jaundice, anorexia (poor appetite) and malaise. Hepatitis is acute when it lasts less than six months and chronic when it persists longer. A group of viruses known as the hepatitis viruses cause most cases of hepatitis worldwide, but it can also be due to toxins (notably alcohol, certain medications, some industrial organic solvents and plants), other infections and autoimmune diseases."

But as a matter of morals... you should have had a hep test a long time ago! The majority of the hep viruses very serious and highly contagious and it is your responsibility to keep those around you safe.

debbie-b
06-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Hepatitis does not need to be hep-virus based. Hepatitis is the inflammation of your liver. If you had it as a child, it is more likely than anything a result of other illness, sometimes drug induced or an indication of liver disease or autoimmune disease. My sister developed hepatitis as a complication of EBV.

This is taken from wiki...

"Hepatitis (plural hepatitides) is a medical condition defined by the inflammation of the liver and characterized by the presence of inflammatory cells in the tissue of the organ. The name is from the Greek hepar (ἧπαρ), the root being hepat- (ἡπατ-), meaning liver, and suffix -itis, meaning "inflammation" (c. 1727).[1] The condition can be self-limiting (healing on its own) or can progress to fibrosis (scarring) and cirrhosis.

Hepatitis may occur with limited or no symptoms, but often leads to jaundice, anorexia (poor appetite) and malaise. Hepatitis is acute when it lasts less than six months and chronic when it persists longer. A group of viruses known as the hepatitis viruses cause most cases of hepatitis worldwide, but it can also be due to toxins (notably alcohol, certain medications, some industrial organic solvents and plants), other infections and autoimmune diseases."

But as a matter of morals... you should have had a hep test a long time ago! The majority of the hep viruses very serious and highly contagious and it is your responsibility to keep those around you safe.

Like I said, I was 5 years old when I had hepatitis, that was in Germany in 1961. My rheumy and my other doctor know about it, but never had any concerns about it. I also had three healthy children, so I don't think I am contagious.
My rheumy thinks it was autoimmune hepatitis, which is not contagious.
I would not put people around me in danger. If that was an issue, the doctors would have ordered more tests.

Debbie