PDA

View Full Version : Checking Up on Your Doctor

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Is it me or does almost everyone have problems finding a good rheumatologist? We aren't always going to see eye to eye, even with the best doctors, but how is it that there are so many arrogant idiots out there?

There are a few things we can do to pre-screen potential doctors, before wasting time, money, stress and tears on the bad ones. There are quite a few doctor rating sites online: RateMDs.com, Healthgrades.com, Doctorscorecard.com (that one is international!) are just a few that I found. It at least gives you a place to start and you can see what kind of experiences other people have had. The downside is that you have to go to more than one site because there are often just a few ratings for each doctor. With most you can rate the doctors you have seen and even leave specific comments about your experience.

Once you've picked someone, go to your state's medical board site and check the status of the doctor's license. My brother thought he was being treated by a licensed physician for seizures. He really liked the guy and refused to get a second opinion, despite my Mom's begging. After he died in his sleep at 28 yrs old, we found out that the doctor was bogus and had fled the state. No charges were ever filed. I saw the same rheumatologist for 10 years and really liked him, but wondered why he always had a medical assistant in the room or left the door open. After he suddenly disappeared from the practice, I checked the regulatory agency website and found documents saying that he had sex with a patient and inappropriate contact with others. The inital restrictions on his license dated back to about the time I first saw him. It never occurred to me to "check up" on him.

It seems like the distribution of power in the doctor patient relationship is so unequal. I'm all in favor of anything that swings the pendulum back in our direction. I bet you all have ideas too!

magistramarla
06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Another good site is www.vitals.com.

It is helpful, but it's just frustrating to me. There are only three rheumys in the area near me, and the one that I see has the highest rating, but she has some really bad comments from patients. The other two are much worse.
Oh, Well.
Hugs,
Marla

ruziska
06-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Part of the price I pay for living in beautiful Montana is lack of choices in doctors. My rheumy is rated well and many people like him. He's a good dr and nice enough but I'm just not that thrilled with his bedside manner. Hopefully that will change as I continue to see him. It's only been twice so far.

SandyR
06-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Another good site is www.vitals.com.

It is helpful, but it's just frustrating to me. There are only three rheumys in the area near me, and the one that I see has the highest rating, but she has some really bad comments from patients. The other two are much worse.
Oh, Well.
Hugs,
Marla

There are tons of Rheumies by me (advantages of living outside of NYC) but I find that so many people in my area don't take advantage of these sites to rate their doctors and that the ones who seem to are the ones with bad experiences.

Peridot20_Gem
06-15-2011, 07:13 AM
I wish there was tons of Rheumo's here, you have choices of what hospital you want to go to and my nearest where i see my crap rheumo is 3miles away and the next hospital is about 8miles away and i've only saw him once for 10mins and the rest was with 4 student doctor's taking my past history and if i need help it's the sister.

My hubby spoke to me the other night he's coming with me next time and said i want answers off them.

We've had loads of illegal doctor's and GP's in the UK and been caught by making mistakes or operating and the goverment as had to pay out but this goverment is backwards on some of them they've let them carry on practacing.

We're going down the tubes here.

Gizmo
06-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Well I started this thread to be a positive thing - to find ways to maybe avoid the bad docs. It seems like most folks don't have choices, though, and that is frightening. We live near a large metropolitan area and have more options than most, but we've also traveled out of state multiple times because of rare medical problems. We had a terrible experience at Johns Hopkins with my daughter - but if I had taken more time with my research and not acted out of desperation, we could have gotten her into the right doctor the first time.

I would still encourage you to check out all your doctors with your state medical board, to make sure they are the real deal and don't have sanctions or restrictions on their license. Sandy, I agree with you, but the good doctors do tend to have some positive comments as well. Maybe we can make a difference in our own communities and take the time to rate our own doctors - good and bad.

Peridot20_Gem
06-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Gizmo,

Alot of us don't have many option's but if you can push more for people in your area to see the right doctor's that's a great thing mate.