PDA

View Full Version : Cortisone shots?

bunny28
06-14-2011, 04:53 PM
HI all!

Just curious about experiences with these. I am 3 months into Plaquinil and suffered a bit of a setback after an infection about a month ago. My rheumy didn't want to give up on Plaquinil or move onto Prednisone, etc too quickly if we didn't need to so he suggested this. I was happy to try this first but had never heard of it as treatment...so I thought I would ask those gurus of whl since someone here seems to have tried everything.

Thanks.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I've had isolated steroids shots into trigger points, and those worked great - but it's local.

bunny28
06-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Interesting! Mine was given in the buttocks. I was told it will take several days to take effect but could last several months.
I know they sometimes give it to athletes/singers who need to get through a performance but I too always thought of it as having local effects. Maybe I don't want to know....don't want to mess up any placebo effect I might encounter, lol

magistramarla
06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Like Gizmo, the ones that I had were local - into the knee for bursitis. I then developed Avascular Necrosis, so I can never take any steroid again.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Like Gizmo, the ones that I had were local - into the knee for bursitis. I then developed Avascular Necrosis, so I can never take any steroid again.

Yiikes! My daughter gets them in both hips every 6 months and I am terrified that will happen to her, but she's 19 now so I don't get a say in that decision anymore.

magistramarla
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Well, some people can take steroids for long periods and have no ill effects. I'm one of those "lucky" ones who is so sensitive that just three cortisone shots caused my bones to start to disintegrate. Everyone is different, right?
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
06-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Mine have been local for my knee also. Frequency has been every two or three years. No reaction other than being able to walk painfree.

Good Luck with whatever you decide

Shaztwirl
06-15-2011, 01:23 AM
I've had cortisone shots in my wrists for my Carpel Tunnel. Very localised but very effective.

steve.b
06-15-2011, 03:07 AM
my wife has just had a total knee replacement. she also has back problems.
she had a steroid shot into her back, to help with the knee recovery. it is the first time in over 2 years she has been without back pain.

i say try it.

debbie-b
06-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Interesting! Mine was given in the buttocks. I was told it will take several days to take effect but could last several months.
I know they sometimes give it to athletes/singers who need to get through a performance but I too always thought of it as having local effects. Maybe I don't want to know....don't want to mess up any placebo effect I might encounter, lol

I have had mine in the buttocks as well, because I was in a very bad flare.
It started working after a coupple of days, but only lasted for less than a week. But it helped me get over the flare.

Debbie

tgal
06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Because I am in such a bad flare I too getthe ones n my butt. They are said rob
Work for 3omths and the doctors try not to give then Amy sooner then that but they work well and the idea is that it gives a big bump to fixing things and then the daily steroids can keep the flare at bay. It doesn't always work that way though. I have had to have 5 in the last 3 months and that really isn't healthy. The general shot in the butt does help much though. I alst feel human.

bunny28
06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys, I got it so now the waiting game begings. For me I do not take daily steroids yet but Doc is hoping the plaquinil will continue to ramp up as well and I will get better but I may have to go back if this doesn't work.