PDA

View Full Version : Gerd?

ritzbit
06-14-2011, 07:36 AM
My last paper from my pulmologist said I was sympomatic of GERD, or something like that. My rheumy gave me prilosec last month for the acid reflux I have now. My question is do any of you with GERD ever have this (this is going to be really poorly explained) guttural, gurling sound in the back of your throat? I dont know how else to describe it. But its driving me crazy and sometimes I have to sit up a certain way and make myself do it as much as I hate it because I have this uncomfortable feeling in my throat. It has been happening more and more frequently and its contributing to me not being able to fall asleep. Any thoughts?

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 08:14 AM
I have had GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease) since I was about your age, Ritz. I have to take Prilosec prescription strength twice a day and it barely controls it. I do get a gurgling sound occasionally, but it sounds like your is much worse.

My advise is: Get thee to a GI doctor. It may be that the sound you are hearing (and probably feeling) is your stomach contents rumbling around in your upper esophagus. You stomach lining is equipped to deal with the high acid content of your stomach. Your esophagus is NOT! That acid can cause significant damage, including irritation (esophagitis), ulcerations, scarring that eventually makes the opening smaller and allows food to get stuck, a pre-cancerous condition called Barrett's esophagitis, and esophageal cancer. On to your lungs. They REALLY aren't designed to take stomach acid, but with severe GERD you can get reflux into your trachea (windpipe). This can trigger asthma, among other things. I'm surprised that your pulmonary doc didn't send you to a GI doc himself.

My Dad had untreated GERD for years and had to have scar tissue removed from his esophagus twice because food was stuck, and almost died when he got an ulcer on his vocal cords which caused his trachea to spasm and a severe asthma attack (he didn't know he had asthma). I've had my esophagus stretched twice because of scarring and have chronic esophagitis. My daughter is having an endoscopy, pH probe and esophageal motility test next week because she has eosinophilic esophagitis, esophageal spasms and slow GI emptying.

GERD is sometimes caused by a hiatal hernia, which can be seen on a barium swallow. Reflux will sometimes show up on that test as well. Hiatal hernia's can be fixed with laproscopic surgery. Lupus can also affect your esophagus and mess with the way the muscles contract to move food down and keep it in the stomach where it belongs. My rheumatologist says my GERD is from lupus.

Raising the head of your bed can help at night, because gravity gives your esophagus a hand in keeping the acid down. That's probably why sitting in a certain position helps with the gurgling. We put cinder blocks on their side under the feet at the head of my daughter's bed and it makes a big difference for her. You can also buy special blocks at Bed Bath and Beyond that are designed to raise beds for storage underneath, but you can just use two for the head. Avoid eating close to bedtime. Caffeine, soda, chocolate and acidic foods can make GERD worse. Pepcid is another drug that helps control acid that is available OTC (over the counter). You should check with your doctor before adding new meds, though.

Whew, that was probably TMI. Maybe there are a few tidbits in there that might help, though.

ritzbit
06-14-2011, 08:25 AM
I started sleeping with my head propped up with about 6 pillows awhile ago because I felt like it help me sleep better. I feel nauseous pretty much every day and have gunk coming up my throat all the time and recently had a really embarrassing episode of actually throwing up. The feeling is almost like bubbles stuck in my throat, but thats really not a good discription of it. I've started feeling like I have something stuck in my throat until I sit up and then I keep swallowing (even though it happens when I've had nothing to eat) and then I'll hear that noise and kinda feel like Im going to throw up but then the feeling temporarily goes away. That is probably way to descriptive and probably doesnt even make sense. Thats the best I can describe it though.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Um, Sweetie, that sounds like pretty severe reflux. How long has that been going on? No wonder you are queasy! Can you get in to see your primary care right away? He/she should be able to order a barium swallow within a few days of your appointment and hopefully expedite a gastro consult.

What are you up to this summer? Anything fun? Are you headed to college in the fall? You should get this reflux thing under control before you head to school, and it will probably take most of the summer to get everything done.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 08:53 AM
One last thought, putting blocks under the head of your bed would probably help more than pillows do because when you use pillows, you are bending in the middle, which puts pressure on your stomach.

ritzbit
06-14-2011, 08:56 AM
My summer consits of trying to figure out what Im doing for college. I told my rheumy about the reflux which is why she gave me prilosec but I dont think its helping. I have had stomach problems since I was little but feeling like Im going to throw up all the time is new. All this started a few months ago aside from some occasional reflux. Actually throwing up out of nowhere was kind of when I decided that this isn't getting better. Its gross.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 09:11 AM
My summer consits of trying to figure out what Im doing for college. I told my rheumy about the reflux which is why she gave me prilosec but I dont think its helping. I have had stomach problems since I was little but feeling like Im going to throw up all the time is new. All this started a few months ago aside from some occasional reflux. Actually throwing up out of nowhere was kind of when I decided that this isn't getting better. Its gross.

Um, ya. Obviously something has changed recently. Hope you call your PCP today...

magistramarla
06-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Ritz,
Listen to Gizmo - she's telling you the right things.
Kayla dealt with this as a teen because of her asthma. Her doc kept changing her meds until we fund one that worked for her. She tried Prilosec, Prevacid and finally found that Protonix helped her.
Get it checked out, and get the right meds before college starts in the fall. A GI doc might find out if you need something more than just those meds.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Do you need like a referal to get in to see a GI doctor or could I just find one and make an appointment with them? Do you think I should call my rheumy first?

magistramarla
06-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Ritz,
That depends upon your insurance. Some require that referrals come from your PCP. Others allow for self-referral.
Check on yours, and make sure that you understand how it works.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
06-14-2011, 11:33 AM
So its not just me that hears it lol I told my mom about it while I was eating a bagel and drinking some juice and it started happening again (it gave me about an hours break) I guess because I was eating. But it got really loud and my mom and brother were both like what was that and I was like whatever is going on in my throat. I probably sound like a weird frog.

Peridot20_Gem
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Ritz,

I do feel for you mate so young, yet so many things involved it just ah right for young ones like yourself to suffer.

My thoughts are with you mate on this one and getting proper medication to suite the Gerd.

((Hugs)) xxx

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Do you need like a referal to get in to see a GI doctor or could I just find one and make an appointment with them? Do you think I should call my rheumy first?

Is your rheumy the doc that takes care of everything? I would call whomever you think can get the ball rolling the fastest. My concern is that if you have food and drink rolling around in your esophagus, it's a pretty short stroll into your trachea. Do you ever wake up coughing or start coughing for no apparent reason? Your PCP or rheumy should be able to order a barium swallow right away, so you have a place to start with the GI doc. Make sure you tell them all the gory details, so they don't treat it like a routine case of heartburn.

ritzbit
06-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I think its my whole stomach acting up. I ate dinner and like 5 min later had to run to the bathroom. Until I eat my stomach is fine and then all these fun things start happening like almost throwing up. My mom went up the street to a gas station close by to try to find tums but they didnt have any =( Do you think any of this could be caused by antibiotics? I just started some a few days ago and its the only thing I've changed.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Antibiotics could certainly be causing you to run to the bathroom, and they can cause nausea and vomiting. Did the gurgling start with the antibiotics? Probiotic pills and yogurt with active cultures may help with the diarrhea. Antibiotics can kill off the good bacteria that your GI tract needs, so taking pills or food with the right kind of live bacteria helps restore the natural balance. I got the impression that the GERD is a long standing problem that recently got worse. Maybe the antibiotics irritated your stomach enough to increase the reflux, but you should call your doctor tomorrow no matter what and let him know what is going on, including the bathroom emergencies.

ritzbit
06-14-2011, 05:16 PM
It was. Its been happening since before the antibiotics but not enough to make me feel so sick. Now I feel so run down and not good. If it is the antibiotics you would think that they wouldnt make you feel like such crap when clearing up an infection.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
It was. Its been happening since before the antibiotics but not enough to make me feel so sick. Now I feel so run down and not good. If it is the antibiotics you would think that they wouldnt make you feel like such crap when clearing up an infection.

If your GI tract was already cranky, the irritation caused by the antibiotics is likely to stir things up even more. GI upset is the most common side effect of most antibiotics. Often the doctor will switch antibiotics if the one you are on is making you sick. They don't want you to get dehydrated on top of everything else. The run down feeling may be the infection itself. Did your doc have you increase your prednisone? My rheumy always has me double my dose when I'm sick.

ritzbit
06-14-2011, 06:27 PM
I just went to my pediatrician because it was just another UTI. He gave me the same antibiotics I always take for them but I've never felt sick from them before.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I just went to my pediatrician because it was just another UTI. He gave me the same antibiotics I always take for them but I've never felt sick from them before.

All the more reason to call him tomorrow

steve.b
06-15-2011, 02:29 AM
gurd has become a big issue in australia.
there is pamphlets at the doctors surgery.
ads on the tv and in magazines.

it is definetelly worth seeing a doctor about.

yours sound lots more severe than anything in the ads.