PDA

View Full Version : vitamin D deficiency?

lovedbyHim
06-14-2011, 04:19 AM
Please can anyone tell me why so many people with AI diseases have vitamin D deficiency? I am on 50,000 iu every 10 days and still it is getting low again. I'm in the sun all day as I drive to visit my clients. This can not be helping my muscle spasms.

Linda From Australia
06-14-2011, 05:25 AM
??????????????

tgal
06-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Yes. Most of us do have issues with vitamin d loss. What concerns me more is your comment about being in the sun all day. No wonder you feel so bad! So you cover up in sunscreen before getting in the car? To you wear Uv protective clothing (inexpensive at academy) and a hat? I do this most of the time even in the car because I will feel horrible if I don't. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it will keep you feeling better

Peridot20_Gem
06-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Tammy i think this info may help in why we get it more.

Overview
As of 2011, more than 50 percent of the population is at risk of vitamin D deficiency, according to the Vitamin D Council. Dr. Michael F. Holick, a vitamin D expert, estimates that deficiency of this important nutrient is the most common medical condition in the world. While everyone is at risk of developing this condition, people with chronic disorders such as lupus have been shown to have more frequent occurrences. If you have lupus or suspect a vitamin D deficiency, consult with a health care professional.

What is Lupus?
Lupus, or systemic lupus erythematosus, is a chronic autoimmune disorder that affects the natural immune response of your body. Imagine soldiers of a country attacking their own troops, thinking they were invaders. This is what happens in lupus and other autoimmune disorders. The immune response is misdirected to your body's own cells and tissues, injuring and destroying them in the process.

Vitamin D Lamps Home UVB for Vitamin D synthesis. Increase your Vitamin D levels.

Lupus and Chronic Inflammation
Lupus can cause chronic inflammation of numerous parts and systems of the body. Skin, joints, kidneys and any other organ may be subject to chronic inflammation caused by lupus. Vitamin D deficiency has been increasingly noted in patients suffering with lupus.

Vitamin D Deficiency and Lupus
Clinical studies have suggested that chronic usage of steroidal medications could lead to an alteration in the metabolism of vitamin D. Patients who suffer from lupus can have chronic inflammation, which can lead to dysfunction and disruption of active vitamin D production. Also, hydroxychloroquine, a common prescription medication that lupus patients consume, can decrease the conversion of vitamin D2 to its more active form, vitamin D3. Corticosteroids, an additional form of treatment, lead to vitamin D deficiency due to altered metabolism caused by the steroids in the medication.

Vitamin D for Lupus Patients
Vitamin D deficiencies can lead to a lot of issues like weak and fragile bones, increased incidence of fractures, softening of bones and low levels of blood calcium in patients with lupus. Vitamin D supplements are necessary in such patients; however, dosages must be managed carefully. Many lupus patients have been observed to react with hypercalcemia if given vitamin D supplements without careful monitoring and adjustments.

lovedbyHim
06-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Hi Mari, yes but on a real sunny day, I get very sick. I feel like I have the flu and fight falling asleep at the wheel. It's been hard on me, but have no choice presently. Thanks dear.

lovedbyHim
06-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks Terry you queen of resources!! I just luv ya!

magistramarla
06-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Terri,
That was a very informative bit of research.
I've been taking a D3 supplement for years, and my D level was always good. About one year after I started taking Plaquenil, it plummeted. I did the 50,000 units per day for three months until it came back up. Since I can't tolerate steroidal medications, Plaquenil must be the culprit.
Tammy,
Be careful out there driving in the sun. Wear lots of sunscreen.
Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
06-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I think it also has to do with sun/diet sensativity. The sun is our greatest source of vitamin D. If you are sun sensative and avoid going out in the sun you are cutting down your vitamin D intake. Add to that the fact that an additional source of vitamin D is in foods such as milk and nice green leafy veggies which many people do not take the time to consume daily (guilty!) and you are further decreasing your vitamin D exposure. Also, if you are like me and can't consume milk you are losing yet another vitamin D source.

Peridot20_Gem
06-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks Terry you queen of resources!! I just luv ya!Hi Tammy,

Everyone needs vitamin D mate but people with strong A1 Diseases who sit in the sun there immune system won't allow them to take it in like other people, so the system starts fighting itself and the next thing you know a Rash/Flare and then your suffering until it wares off with cream or tablet form.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

Peridot20_Gem
06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Terri,
That was a very informative bit of research.
I've been taking a D3 supplement for years, and my D level was always good. About one year after I started taking Plaquenil, it plummeted. I did the 50,000 units per day for three months until it came back up. Since I can't tolerate steroidal medications, Plaquenil must be the culprit.
Tammy,
Be careful out there driving in the sun. Wear lots of sunscreen.
Hugs,
MarlaThanks Marla,

Plaquenil helped me last time it kicked in on my skin and clearing up the rashes but i'm banned from the sun anyway besides the shade, as i've had strict orders off my Dermo mate, so absorbing vitamin D means nothing to me now anyway and if i get the Vitamin D deficiency well it's only another thing added to the list.lol I've got to laugh sometimes marla as it never ends. xxxx

Peridot20_Gem
06-14-2011, 12:12 PM
I think it also has to do with sun/diet sensativity. The sun is our greatest source of vitamin D. If you are sun sensative and avoid going out in the sun you are cutting down your vitamin D intake. Add to that the fact that an additional source of vitamin D is in foods such as milk and nice green leafy veggies which many people do not take the time to consume daily (guilty!) and you are further decreasing your vitamin D exposure. Also, if you are like me and can't consume milk you are losing yet another vitamin D source.
Hi Sandy,

I can't sit out in the sun but i do drink cups of tea regular with Milk and if i go dehydrated the milks soon put away to ease it and refering the veggies, the hubby is the chef and i get them regular he makes sure, so at least i'm getting something.

lovedbyHim
06-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Gosh I have tons of milk products daily. I now understand so much better. I do slather in sunscreen and wear white long sleeve shirts. The sun makes me very sick if I don't be careful. I guess all I can do is increase the D with the docs help. Thanks everyone!

SandyR
06-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Hi Sandy,

I can't sit out in the sun but i do drink cups of tea regular with Milk and if i go dehydrated the milks soon put away to ease it and refering the veggies, the hubby is the chef and i get them regular he makes sure, so at least i'm getting something.

I'm not saying that everyone who is vitamin D deficient does the things I mentioned, I'm just saying that for some people they are contributing factors.

BTW-So jealous of the chef for a hubby. That sounds fab! I know that the parties at your house must have delicious food. When's the next? I might have to pop in...

Peridot20_Gem
06-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Sandy before i was diagnosed with this lot and could get about better i cooked regular for my ex (that's another bad subject in my life) and when i met ste, i went to cook and he told me no i like cooking. I thought carry on mate i've been a scivvy long enough for someone who did'nt appreciate it and in 10yrs i've never done a dinner.lol

Well you'll have abit of a distance mate but your welcome...he does the neighbour her sunday dinner and she's 49.lol

anilla
06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I feel like I have the flu and fight falling asleep at the wheel.

this happens to me a LOT! I've had to pull over more than once and just get up and walk, get coffe, and yes, even slap my own face. :o

it's all kind of clicking together now, reading about all your experiences.

lovedbyHim
06-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Isn't it just wonderful? I tell you I drive many hours a day and one day, I fell asleep 6 times at the wheel. I called the doc soon after. It's been rough. But we're not alone now. Yeah! Keep reading. Get lots of amo for the doctors office(grinning).

Peridot20_Gem
06-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Anilla,

I have the hot sweats the lot with SLE and other things linked with it and if you have it mate, then there's alot of signs linked t it.