PDA

View Full Version : an update and a question about Medical marijuana

Twinmama
06-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi Friends,
I haven't been on here for couple of weeks. Just wanted to update you about my MRI results, for those who remember. I was send for an MRI because of migranes I have been suffering (aside from my usual headaches) .
Thank you for your prayers, I don't have lupus in my brain THANK GOD! What I do have is Fibromyalgia. My Lupus is not active, and everything I am experiencing is Fibro! I kept complaining of my PAIN everyday, all night, muscels, joints, face scalp, fingers......you get the idea. also all the other symptoms that are same with Lupus, like extreme fatigue, depression, I have unbelievable mood swing and irritability ....basicly I am NOT ME anymore, I don't recognize myself .I yell I cry I don't like anybody.....I had thoughts of suicide.....
Well I got more pills to my collection which I was happy about(cause I thought they would help), except....they don't really help. I tried (again) to stop prednisone ...wow...I lasted day and a half (again).
So i have decided I will try medical marijuana.
Have any of you suffering from Fibromyalgia tried Medical Marijuana? it's supposed to be NON_HIGH marijuana! don't get me wrong, I don't wanna be high! I am a mother of 2 and I need to be functional at all times! which I am NOT right now!
So please let me know your experiences!!
Thank you everyone
Eva

lovedbyHim
06-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Sorry never tried it. I have terrible muscle spasms and nerve pain presently and suspect fibro. It is so exhausting and trying to deal with as of late. I've been put on skelaxin and cymbalta to manage it. Some days are better than others. Hope you find something that works.

steve.b
06-13-2011, 07:05 AM
i have fibro also.
i take panedol osteo 2 tablets 3 times a day.
celebrex and magnesium daily.

soft exercise like water aerobics. (not the fast stuff)
is highly reccommended for fibro.

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Hello Eva,

Lovely to hear off you and about your MRI results as i was commenting on your thread, well that's one good thing it not interfering with your brain.
All the rest you get which you've mentioned i get that day in and out such a nightmare mate and i cry like yourself when it really gets me down, foget suicide it gets you know where i've done it and been there and look at me still here.

Well if your hitting the good stuff throw some this way, i could do with being on cloud nine myself at the mo. I've never smoked Marijauna myself but when i was younger i used to smoke draw/blow as we call it and it chills you right out and relaxes you.

Marijauna is being used for quite a few things now adays to ease pain as i've watched programmes on the box about it but it's been spaced out like taking medication, just becareful incase it helps that much and you dabble more because of your kids.

((All my love to you mate)) plus keep we updated.

Terry xxxxx

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Eva i'm adding this info to help incase you do go on it and it's used for 2hrs only each day.

Cannabis and Fibromyalgia

In order to find out if marijuana reduces symptoms in fibromyalgia patients, an open clinical study with 56 patients was carried out in Spain. The study group were comprised of 28 regular cannabis users and 28 patients who didn’t use marijuana. All patients completed a total of three questionnaires relating to their fibromyalgia symptoms and their quality of life.

What is Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a syndrome – that is, it is a group of signs and symptoms which when experienced in combination suggest that the patient is suffering from a specific medical condition. As with many syndromes, the symptoms of fibromyalgia come and go and vary between patients. Some life factors can bring on symptoms or make existing ones worse, for instance:

•Changes in the weather
•Stress levels
•Physical activity
The main symptoms of Fibromyalgia
•Pain
•Extreme sensitivity to pain, so that just the slightest touch is experienced as being painful
•Stiffness
•Muscle spasms
•Extreme fatigue
•Poor quality sleep
•Brain fog (cognitive problems)
•Headaches
•Nausea
•Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
•Inability to regulate body temperature
•Restless legs syndrome
•Tinnitus
•Anxiety
•Depression
Study Results: Cannabis and Fibromyalgia
After 2 hours of cannabis use, visual analogue scales showed a statistically significant reduction of pain and stiffness, enhancement of relaxation, and an increase in somnolence and feeling of well being. Mental health scores in a questionnaire were higher in cannabis users than in non-users.

The Researchers concluded that “the use of cannabis was associated with beneficial effects on some Fibromyalgia symptoms.” They recommend that further studies on the usefulness of cannabinoids in Fibromyalgia
patients as well as cannabinoid system involvement in the pathophysiology of this condition are warranted.”

magistramarla
06-13-2011, 11:38 AM
I keep seeing threads like this one, and it makes me curious about it, too. I've read that it really helps with the spasming muscles and the numbness of peripheral neuropathy. I wish that there was a pill form that the docs could legally prescribe, since I would never, ever smoke anything. I've had too many problems with my lungs all of my life to even try something like that. If the drug companies can make legal meds from opium, why can't they make one from cannabis?
Good luck with it, Eva.
Let us know if it helps you.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I keep seeing threads like this one, and it makes me curious about it, too. I've read that it really helps with the spasming muscles and the numbness of peripheral neuropathy. I wish that there was a pill form that the docs could legally prescribe, since I would never, ever smoke anything. I've had too many problems with my lungs all of my life to even try something like that. If the drug companies can make legal meds from opium, why can't they make one from cannabis?
Good luck with it, Eva.
Hugs,
Marla

I've often wondered the same thing. Drugs derived from opium are acceptable, but drugs made from another plant are not? It makes no sense.

Rob

lovedbyHim
06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks Steve.Bruce. I was crying on Sunday night as the pain wears me down a bit. I will look in to these.

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Good luck with it, Eva.
Hugs,
MarlaHi Marla,

When i watched it on the tele it was a chap in the uk using it for MS and because he was using it properly plus his doctor's new the goverment could'nt do nothing about it and he said it numbed the pain and given him great relief, so there must be something in it like you've said.

Our goverment won't bring it in legal for it to be used so that chap was lucky having Doctor's behind him.

lovedbyHim
06-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Rob there is a pill form. I believe it is called marinol or something like that. I had a consumer in our mental health program who was given it to help her stop self injuring. I don't know how affective it would be for the spasms but I can tell you I used to use it in my 20s and it was of course wonderful for forgetting all worries. Down side was it made me terribly unmotivated (grin). I guess my muscles were relaxed, because all I wanted to do was sit around and enjoy my friends. Hope this helps and doesn't lead anyone astray. Just a truth. And...I did inhale (chuckle).

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks Steve.Bruce. I was crying on Sunday night as the pain wears me down a bit. I will look in to these.

Tammy you'll be well away with the stuff mate if it relieves you.lol mind you the pain does send you crazy at times and i end up down the garden crying my heart out SAD ah.

Islablue
06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Okay, moment of honesty here. I used to smoke it daily for the pain and I never got very high at ALL. It did help. WAY BETTER than any pain medicine without any nausea whatsoever. I get more of a high from a pain pill than pot. It's just the way my body operates. Pot was something I'd tried in high school (no pun intended) ... okay so I smoked it quite a few times in my high school and college days, but I gave it up because I didn't really find too much enjoyment in it. About a year and a half ago I was at my wits end and was at a friends house where they were smoking. I'd heard about the way it helped and thought, well... why not? I don't have kids, I didn't have to drive, and I wasn't working because of the pain and fatigue. I took a couple of small hits from one and the pain relief and ease my muscles felt was AMAZING. Like I said, I didn't ever feel "high".. it was wierd. I'm a big hippie type so it's a wonder I don't smoke it a lot, but I'm in a pain management program and they randomly test for all drugs. But... i know where to get it if I do get into a SERIOUS amount of pain. I smoked tiny bits of it for a period of 9-10 months with awesome results. Why would the US gov approve the open selling and/or growing of marijuana? They make SOOO much money off of everything else that cannot be easily planted and grown in your own basement. They would be fools to allow it to be legal. The pharmaceutical industry would take a nosedive. The major symptoms it relieved for me were #1. Pain #2. Nausea #3. Stiffness and burning -- Bye Lyrica, Neurontin, Phenergan, Lortab and other class C meds --- those would become obsolete. The gov gets major 6 figure payouts from these medical corps. They won't legalize it. Very sad.
Again, had I not been in pain and frustrated, I wouldn't have turned that way and tried it. I honestly believe in the right hands marijuana can be used responsibly with great results. Especially if you find other means besides smoking it. (protect those lungs!)

lizbond36
06-13-2011, 06:25 PM
My mother give me a cookie with TLC in it. Without telling me, this was before I was DX with Lupus. I have vertigo really bad. When I ate it I was so dizzy I look like I was drunk, slur speech. I thought other flare, wrong my mom told me what she did. I will never do the Pot again.

Islablue
06-14-2011, 09:27 AM
liz when you eat something with THC the effects are very different than the way it would affect you if it was smoked or vaporized. The main effect being nausea and vertigo. That was extremely unfair of her to do that to you. I'm so sorry. I don't blame you, I'd never want to do that again.

lizbond36
06-14-2011, 05:39 PM
I thought smoking was bad for the lungs? I have vertigo for the past 7 years which I think isn't common in Lupus. Any hoo thanks for the tip :-)
Hugs
Liz

lovedbyHim
06-15-2011, 02:46 AM
This little topic is gettining pretty funny. I have asthma now so I'm sure I would throw a fit if in "inhaled". Lol

Peridot20_Gem
06-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Well i used to smoke Blow/draw as they call it here in the uk and it did chill me but smoke it now i'd mostly lose a lung.lol

Nat
06-16-2011, 05:28 AM
Hey Twinmama,
Give it a try you will more than likely feel much better because of the natural anti-inflammatory effects of marijuana. There are quite a few documentaries around (if you're interested in checking them out) about the effects of medical marijuana on things such as MS. There is one in particular called The Union which actually shows a man who is suffering from MS and his tremors are so significant he couldnt participate in the interview until he had smoked some marijuana. I tried a strain of medical marijuana while i was in Amsterdam recently, it is one of the main strains they use in California and it was great. I hadn't been experiencing any really bad lupus symptoms while i was over there just general soreness (which we all come to live with) and it cleared it right up.
Its such a shame that our society can be so backwards about a naturally occurring plant which has clear medicinal properties just because of propaganda and influence from pharmaceutical companies

Peridot20_Gem
06-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi Nat,

I watched it on the tele mate and it's surposed to be great for MS not everyones body reacts the same to the things.

Peridot20_Gem
06-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Hello Eva,

Please give we an update please on how your feeling and what you've decided to do to help the pain. xxx

PaulaD
06-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Well instead of my first post being in the introduction area, it's here. I started medical marijuana treatment 5 five! Years ago. it changed my life. Within six months I was off prednisone. I had taken it for 6 years. Like you all the pain and aches and rash. I am a Gramma, my kids are grown and I thought no way. My Drs. Are impressed and it's pain relieving effects are great! Butter infused with the leaves then strained thru cheesecloth. I use a crock pot. Brownies, yum. Eating is great for lupus caused IBS, you know to poo or not to poo....
if you are in a state that allows it go for it. The nausea is usually caused because the pain center of the brain is near the nausea area (per a Doc).
The nausea and dizziness goes away quickly. I don't even get that now. There are many studies showing mj. Especially the Indica strain has an effect on the immune system.
I can sleep, eat, walk, and my hands no longer need PT.

For me, a miracle. I also take plaquinal, methatrexate.

I have a medical card, live in Oregon.

Peridot20_Gem
06-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Hi Paula,

Thanks for the introduction on marijuana and i've stated earlier there was a chap on the tele with MS and took it properly like taking meds and it gave him great relief and he had doctor's to back him up and his condition, so they could'nt stop him taking it because othrwise here in the UK it's not allowed.
CAUGHT WITH IT YOUR FACING PRISON lol

Islablue
06-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Nat I agree with you! People need to really take a look at things before not agreeing just b/c the gov dons something as being "bad". Alcohol IMO is ten times worse than MJ. I'd rather be on the road with a bunch of pot smokers than a bunch of drunks any day. Yeah for the most part it's illegal other than when used for medicinal purposes. Also, smoking and eating aren't the only way to have MJ in ur life! Vaporizing hello! hehe.

Peridot20_Gem
06-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Islablue,

Your right about drinking and smoking their addictions over ride any drug on the market or illegal but to me they should make marijauna legal especially if it helps diseases.

boguzoid
06-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Well crud,

This wasn't the way I expected to make myself known to these forums (much like PaulaD), but after seeing quite a bit of confusion in this thread about the usage, benefits, and detriments of marijuana in relation to SLE, I thought I'd chip in my two centavos.

To the initial poster in this thread. Medical marijuana will most definitely get you "high". In fact, it's likely to do so to a much greater degree than most marijuana you might purchase on the grey/black market. The active ingredients, for lack of a better phrase, in pot are cannabinoids. These are the substances in pot that actually bind to receptors in your noggin. There are many, many cannabinoids in marijuana, but the main ones are THC, CBD, and CBN. The concentration levels of those three cannabinoids can greatly change the effects you feel upon ingestion. Marijuana with a larger percentage of THC can result in an energetic "high" in which the user is more likely to experience bouts of creativity, energy, and a voracious need to eat everything in your fridge. On the flip side, doobage with a large percentage of CDB or CBN often causes a feeling of lethargy, often referred to in stoner circles as "couch lock", and it's also likely to make you want to eat the world.

I guess my point is that all pot is not created equal. If you're going to make the decision to utilize marijuana in a medicinal capacity, it would behoove you to do quite a bit of research. If you experience lethargy, weakness, etc. in general as part of SLE, doobage with a large percentage of CBD/CBN is NOT a good idea. In my personal experience, it's like doubling down on the symptoms (joint/muscle pain, lethargy, depression). However, if you experience any high level of nausea and/or vomiting, pot can be a god-send.

To "lovedbyHim" - In my understanding (and experience), drugs like marinol are quite effective at increasing appetite, but jeebus tap-dancing cristo do they hose one up. I'm a frequent user of the substance I've been speaking of, and I could not for the life of me tolerate marinol. It's like someone clubbed you with a pot farm. Also, if you feel that marijuana could mitigate symptoms you're experiencing, but can't smoke due to lung/inhilation issues, I would suggest that you look into how it can be used in baking (per PaulaD's post, for example). Brownies, cookies, etc.

I'd love to be able to suggest marijuana as a silver bullet cure-all, but in reality it's just not the case, and in some instances, can be quite detrimental. In my experience (which means jack-all since this is my first post to a strange forum), if you have SLE, pot might help joint and muscle pain as many cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory properties. It might also mitigate against the nausea and vomiting one can experience with both symptoms and side-effects of treatment of SLE. But depending on the state you live in, it's still an illegal substance, so one must weigh the risk of acquiring it against the consequence of getting caught. In short, your mileage will vary by state and local culture.

Reading back over this thing, I think I come off as a bit officious or whatever, but I hope this information helps someone. I figured I might as well share information in one of the few fields I'm qualified in :). Please feel free to slag me in the comments section below. Peace!

rob
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Well crud,

This wasn't the way I expected to make myself known to these forums (much like PaulaD), but after seeing quite a bit of confusion in this thread about the usage, benefits, and detriments of marijuana in relation to SLE, I thought I'd chip in my two centavos.

Hello Boguzoid,

Making yourself known here by posting accurate info, and following it up with a fair analysis of both the positive, and negative aspects of the subject at hand, is a pretty good way to start.

I also was under the mistaken impression that medical marijuana will not get you high. Thanks for taking the time to explain the subject in detail.

Welcome to WHL,

Rob

lovedbyHim
06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi bog! Welcome to WHL! Thanks so much for your info. I do get terribly nauseated from meds and SLE. I will put this info in my memory bank. Oh crud my memory bank is so bad! I hope I can remember this.

Peridot20_Gem
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Hello Boguzoid,

Making yourself known here by posting accurate info, and following it up with a fair analysis of both the positive, and negative aspects of the subject at hand, is a pretty good way to start.

I also was under the mistaken impression that medical marijuana will not get you high. Thanks for taking the time to explain the subject in detail.

Welcome to WHL,

RobRob,

That's the impression i got with it being used medical because that chap on the TV seemed happy enough with his life and eased of pain, all to it been done properly with Doctor's behind him but marijauna can affect people in different ways, in how it's brought and what substances are used.

Terry

steve.b
06-23-2011, 07:56 PM
welcome boguzoid.

steve.b
06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
i have kept out of this thread until now.

how does any marijuana work?
without getting into medical terms, it effects the brain.
it stimulates some areas.
it dullens others.

yes it helps relieve the symptoms, by dullening the senses.

is this what you want to do, effect your brain?

i believe the benefits do not justify the negatives.

i am not a stick in the mud, or old fasioned. i am a realist.
i see it every other day,in some of my family and friends.
i see the effects on older people, who have used it for years.

i will not use it.

this is my point of view, you are entitled to yours..............
please educate yourself fully before making up your mind.... for or against.