PDA

View Full Version : Gluten Free?

Shaztwirl
06-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Is anybody here on a Gluten free diet? I've decided to give it a try but it looks way hard! I'm sure I can find plenty to eat but it's the extras like the salad dressings and other condiments that I might really struggle with! Imagine my relief though to find that I can still drink my cider and my wine! Phew!

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Hi Sharon,

As you know i don't diet but someone will answer you about the diet and i hope it helps mate in many ways because Gluten is very fattening.

My husband cooks healthy meals and you can guarentee 60% of the time a salad piece goes with it on the side of the plate i don't mind as i love my mayonaise dressing but i'm terrible for salt, so he stook me on low salt.lol

Well if it works for you at least you can still have a drink but cider alone is very fattening so i'd keep to wine more.

Love Terry xxx

Noelene
06-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Hi Sharon, I don't need to eat gluten free, but i choose too plus gluten just doesn't agree with my stomach anyway. I really love bread & porridge, but suffer if I have wheat and oat, gluten in general. My Mums (who has Lupus and uses a colostomy bag) health improved no end when I suggested she try gluten free. There are plenty of articles in google about gluten and benefits of going without. As for salad dressing/gravies, could I suggest you look up raw foods to see how we use blended fruits/veggies and nuts to make dressing with. Simple fresh lemon or lime juice can be refreshing with adding oils or vinegar. You could also try using rice and quinoa products. In Australia we have gluten free products in our super market and we have Health Shops. I really get it that cereals, bread, biscuits and cakes are not quite the same. For my Mum, it's a matter of trialing different brands of products and comparing the ingredients. You might read the benefits of going without gluten out weighs eating gluten. Happy shopping! Noelene

steve.b
06-13-2011, 06:50 AM
i have tried gluten free.
i was tested for gluten intollerance. came back negative, so i can eat gluten. but it still does funny things to me.

i found quite a few good recipies on the internet. (taste.com)

the bad side. cooking cakes etc with gluten free does not work properly.
the gluten in the flour makes cakes, biscuits and bread bind properly.
i found flat bread "wraps" a great substitute for sandwiches.
mixing rye and white "light rye" i now make home made bread. don't eat a lot of it.

i also cut out white potatoes. the starch has similar effect to gluten on a lot of people. (dont know the scientific reason for it).

rob
06-13-2011, 07:06 AM
OK folks,

The subject of Lupus, and diet, has been covered here ad nauseum. If you use the site search function you will find a wealth of information regarding having a well balanced and healthy diet, as well as tips regarding certain foods we should avoid, such as alfalfa sprouts.

However-There is no specific diet that has been proven to alter the course of Lupus in any way, shape or form. This fact has also been discussed to death here.

Now, while there is no problem at all discussing what foods we personally like or dislike, the reasons why we like or dislike them, and how they have affected us personally in relation to our autoimmune disorders, we are not going to have discussions about specific "Fad Diets". This has been made clear here many times over.

And the next person I see recommending a fad diet, such as the "Raw Diet"-

Will recieve a formal warning! Further infractions after the warning will lead to further action, including a possible suspension.

Rob

Thread closed