PDA

View Full Version : couple question, need help

lizbond36
06-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone
I wanted to know if anyone has alert bracelet or carry a wallet card that explains that you have a suppressed immune system? I have heard though online many of Lupus have the bracelet other have the wallet, and others say don't bother with it. Before I go out and buy one I wanted to make sure its the right move.

Second
I found a UV watches do anyone have this? It tells you when it safe to go outside and it sounds off if the UV gets to high.

Third
Do anyone wear a mask at doctors, hospital or crowed area's? My immune system isn't the best, to avoid the 7 day cold for me it can last a month 10 times worst then other people. I never had the chicken pox's nor the shot's cause I have heard that I could get the shingles.

Thanks for the help
Hugs
Liz

Peridot20_Gem
06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi Liz,

Regarding the 2nd and 3rd question i can't answer you but refering the ID bracelets and necklace tags, i think they're a brilliant idea and i used to use them until i was in hospital the once and i had a silver ID Pendant around my neck and they was searching for my ID, i pulled it off my neck and throwed it at them but found out after, that rules have changed here in the UK when ambulance people come to sort you out none of that's to be looked for anymore, they just treat what they see infront of them which is bad.

Otherwise you being in another country it may be different and i'd get one mate, the bracelets tarnish in no time but the silver pendants don't.

lovedbyHim
06-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Liz, yes I have ID on my neck and in my wallet. I oftentimes forget my necklace but It's always in my wallet with my realist and diagnoses. I don't wear a mask anywhere. I guess I risk that. I am a greeter at my church and shake hands with everyone. Thus far I am holding up. I can't answer your other question. Sorry. Good luck.

tgal
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Good Afternoon,

1. I do not wear a bracelet although I probably should. An EMS friend of mine commented once that they only look at them half the time so it was a perfect excuse for me to put it off. I do have plans to get one.

2. LOL@ the bracelet. IMHO that is just a way for people to make money. I am smart enough to know when the sun is too high in sky so I should stay in. UV protected clothing, hats etc but a watch type thing that says when I should go out seems silly to me however if someone thinks it would be helpful go for it!

3. Up until now I have not worn one. Lupus makes my immune system work too hard it does not make it slow down. However, now with the MTX my numbers are going down so I I am going to have to take extra precautions. Not sure I am ready for that step yet however I can see it being a necessary options

lizbond36
06-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Great answer thank you everyone, I have to found an ID one thats sliver and get a wallet one as well. Mari you have a point about the watch I nip that in the butt. It was 60.00 dollars, The mask is a good idea but I will not wear one or do LOL haven't made up my crazy mind. Big hugs to my lupie family :-)

Liz

Peridot20_Gem
06-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Liz,

I'm happy to hear you've found an ID to suite you mate, i think they're brill and very important but some reason the goverment think opposite.

magistramarla
06-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Liz,
I love my medical alert bracelet, and I wear it every time I go out the door. I ordered it from a company in Houston over a year ago, and it is still great. I ordered one with an expandable band, which happens to match my watch. I keep them both on a ring stand on the kitchen counter, so that I can grab them as I go out of the door.
I agree that the UV bracelet is pricey and unnecessary.
I've found that my over-active immune system makes me less likely to get infections, even when I was on MTX. I used to teach, and kids would ask to go see the school nurse after sneezing all over me, but I rarely got sick with them. I feel uncomfortable with anything on my face, so it would be pretty difficult to get me to wear a mask.
Hugs,
Marla

Saysusie
06-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't have a bracelet, but I do have a card that I keep attached to my driver's license (since I'm told that EMT's & Police, etc. will always look at your license).
I've never heard of the UV watch..but I'd say for most of us, there really is not "Safe" time to be in the sun. So, we should always take precautions when going outdoors.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
06-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone
I wanted to know if anyone has alert bracelet or carry a wallet card that explains that you have a suppressed immune system? I have heard though online many of Lupus have the bracelet other have the wallet, and others say don't bother with it. Before I go out and buy one I wanted to make sure its the right move.

Second
I found a UV watches do anyone have this? It tells you when it safe to go outside and it sounds off if the UV gets to high.

Third
Do anyone wear a mask at doctors, hospital or crowed area's? My immune system isn't the best, to avoid the 7 day cold for me it can last a month 10 times worst then other people. I never had the chicken pox's nor the shot's cause I have heard that I could get the shingles.

Thanks for the help
Hugs
Liz

1. I don't have a bracelet/necklace. The biggest reason I've held off on getting one is being in diagnostic limbo. I think you can find free ones if you look around, at least a couple of years ago I could but I don't know about now. Some of them are very fancy and look like regular jewelry - good for you but not so good for an EMT who is looking for the traditional medical tag, if they look. I prefer to keep a "note" on my phone labeled ICE info with dx and rx and contact info and a sticky on my ID to look there.

2. I agree with Mari on this one.

3. I wear a mask at home when I clean, especially if the cleaning involved harsh chemicals or dust. I started doing that at my doctor's insistance in the last year and it has dramatically decreased my occurances of sinus infections/respiratory infections. I buy them at a local pharmacy and they are VERY inexpensive. I don't use them out in public.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 05:42 PM
1. I don't wear a bracelet, but both of my daughters have Medic Alert bracelets. I often wonder if the paramedics would actually look at them, though, since theirs look like jewelry if the alert medal is turned away from you. I don't wear one because none of my docs have recommended it and I feel like they might think I am making myself out to be sicker than I really am.

2. Yup, y'all are right about the bracelet/watch.

3. I also seem to be immune to contagious illnesses, even on Imuran and the experimental monoclonal antibody drug. Liz, you should really talk to your rheumy about vaccines. If you have never had chicken pox, it can be quite serious in adults. If you aren't taking immunosupressants, it may be much safer for you to get the chicken pox vaccine than to risk getting chicken pox itself. I copied the following info from MedicineNet.com:

Shingles is caused by a reactivation of the virus that has caused chicken pox in person earlier in life. It reactivates by inflaming the skin and nerve in the distribution of the a particular nerve of sensation. Because the chicken pox vaccine stimulates the immune system to attack the virus before it can cause the condition, it will prevent chicken pox, and therefore, prevent shingles. The chicken pox vaccination does not make a person susceptible to shingles at any time of life.

bunny28
06-14-2011, 06:22 PM
The only question I can really comment on is the medical alert bracelet wallet card. I was diagnosed in Feb of this year and I got one. Mine allows me to update medication on my file. Though I have to history of seizures or loss of conciousness, I thought if ever I am in a car accident and brought in unconcious, I should be able to let them know somehow what drugs I am on in case of interactions. I also hope it might give them a starting point if ever I do have a seizure or lose conciousness and can't communicate for myself.

To be fair, I have felt a little silly at times. Once I went to our urgent care clinic and the doctor asked me why other than lupus do I wear the bracelet....It sounded like he didn't think Lupus was enough reason and I felt a little dumb. In retrospect, I feel better about it, I think he just wanted to know if there was some other existing medical condition which might also be at play. I also have an unusual allergy to a medication...one that I never thought would need telling but found out is sometimes given when they are sending you in for surgery so I have that on it too.

Mostly though I love the security of wearing mine...I even own two (one sports band and one "dressy" silver bracelet")

ruziska
06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I thought about getting a bracelet but I destroy them. Not intentionally, but they don't have a chance with me. So I got a tattoo instead. Can't break that. I got a wolf paw with the medical star in the pad and the word lupus in it. Will post pics after I get it touched up. I also have a medical thumb drive that I keep in my lupus kit in my purse. I have a special wallet for it with medical info inside stickers on it. It has enough of my medical history on it to get the medics off on the right start in the event of an emergency.