PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between prednisone and Prednisolone?

Linda From Australia
06-12-2011, 12:49 AM
I have always wondered this, well, actually, only since I have been on Prednisolone 5 or 6 weeks ago.

I am from Perth Western Australia. I am wondering what other people are put on and why, and does it have to do with the area you live, or the doctor you see, or depending in what is wrong with you?

rob
06-12-2011, 02:45 AM
Here you go Linda-

www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-prednisone-and-prednisolone.htm (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-prednisone-and-prednisolone.htm)

Linda From Australia
06-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Thanks Rob, for the information
I wonder why doctors give one patient Prednisone, and another patient Prednisolone. If ever I get to do a PhD, I might do it on that... second thoughts, I would rather have a life!

rob
06-12-2011, 03:08 AM
Thanks Rob, for the information
I wonder why doctors give one patient Prednisone, and another patient Prednisolone. If ever I get to do a PhD, I might do it on that... second thoughts, I would rather have a life!

That's another good question. One reason that I have read is that the liver has to metabolize the prednisone to create the metabolite prednisolone. In people with liver damage they use prednisolone because a damaged liver can't metabolize and absorb prednisone very well.

steve.b
06-12-2011, 05:59 AM
robs reason is what i was told.

if the liver is involved with lupus, use prednisolone.
if no liver involvement, use predsisolone.

ritzbit
06-12-2011, 08:43 AM
My body just cant metabolize prednisone. My doctor told me that if medrol (prednisolone) was cheaper they would probably just start everyone on that because its a lot easier on the body to use. As far as I know my liver is fine, it just cant use prednisone right. It takes more work for the body to use prednisone.