PDA

View Full Version : Is sle making you age & look older

Peridot20_Gem
06-11-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm adding this post hoping alot of member's will join in and show how SLE what i have, is making them age because it's so strong in my system, i can't believe how it's changing me so quickly besides other Lupus connected Diseases would help to show their true colours and what they're doing.

If you can get involved and add 2 pic's within a few years difference it does help to show it's process.

TOOK 3YRS AGO

http://i51.tinypic.com/149wfug.jpg

THIS IS ME NOW "Alot of difference"

http://i52.tinypic.com/x5ywba.jpg

ruziska
06-11-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't have any pics to prove it but lupus isn't aging me. Time is aging me. Honestly, I've been told several times I look younger recently. Why? because last July I left an extremely stressful job. Because I'm taking better care of myself more now than any other time in my life. Because I making a conscious effort to be my best me. Because I intend to hear the words "you look too young to be a grandmother" LOL

Peridot20_Gem
06-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi ruziska,

I did this thread because i could'nt believe in how 3yrs it's changed me, mind you with thing progressing in my system i'm not surprised.

People are most likely saying your younger because you've got out of a stressful job and you sound like your picking up nicely by how your looking after yourself.
I mean i wash and look after myself like any other woman but it's making no difference but my depression as been with me now for quite a few weeks unless that's what's doing it.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

tgal
06-11-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't take pictures (the one on my profile is about 4 years old and it was the first one in about a decade. It has done the same thing to me that it has done to you. I have aged A LOT. Unlike you I have put on a lot o weight as well. Weight gain was one of my original symptoms but once I started the steroids it became very bad.

I also have not been able to color my hair due to the sores in my scalp (thankfully they have been gone for 3 months and I get to color this weekend) so I am 50% grey. Yes, Lupus has aged me. On the bright side I am still living and enjoying my family.

Islablue
06-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure if it's age or Lupus, but I found a pic of me from 4 years ago and I feel as if I look a lot younger and I'm in my 20's so I don't think I should be aging this fast. Don't jump on me for saying this b/c I know I am still young, but I just feel like without makeup I look like crap. I used to be in makeup artistry and hair and when I did that I didn't feel as if I needed it that much.... BUT NOW I do. Dark circles under my eyes.. facial redness, uneven tone...and Lord at the stretch marks on the rest of my body. I haven't gained or lost weight so quickly that I'd have so many stretch marks! I don't have kids either, so I can't use preg as an excuse. I guess it's just my skin now that's diff.

craftkeeper
06-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey all. I'm really glad you brought this up Terri. Lupus has aged me so much just in the last year. The dry skin, hair falling out, and the circles under my eyes have really aged me past my 51 years. And like Mari the weight gain was one of my first problems. I went from a size 10 to a 16 in no time.. So depressing. But i'm working on the weight and i think i will get my hair cut short to make it look a little fuller. My hubby thinks the Malar rash is cute. LOL. What a guy. And by the way, even through all of the pain you ladies have suffered, you are all still very attractive Ladies.

Peridot20_Gem
06-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't take pictures (the one on my profile is about 4 years old and it was the first one in about a decade. It has done the same thing to me that it has done to you. I have aged A LOT. Unlike you I have put on a lot o weight as well. Weight gain was one of my original symptoms but once I started the steroids it became very bad.

I also have not been able to color my hair due to the sores in my scalp (thankfully they have been gone for 3 months and I get to color this weekend) so I am 50% grey. Yes, Lupus has aged me. On the bright side I am still living and enjoying my family.Hi Mari,
Dow worry i dow like pic's but i have an hubby who's camera mad but i don't mind the occassional one but the flashes hurt my eyes.

Well how you've said it's aged you, i just kept thinking it was just me because alot of lady member's look healthy on their pic's even yours does but now you've mentioned it i'm not alone on this one.
I am sorry your gaining weight off the steriods and i do know how you feel mari, was on them years back as you know and they took me to 18st i just could'nt cope with the aching all the time, so it must really be getting to you.
Well how you've sorted your hair, from the picture below it's grown into the bob nicely now and all one colour but needs re-dying with my roots as the grey is showing but the hair i lose when washing it is madness.

Well i'm living the same mari but not living life to how i'd want to at 42 it just annoys me how much Lupus limits you. xxxx

Peridot20_Gem
06-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure if it's age or Lupus, but I found a pic of me from 4 years ago and I feel as if I look a lot younger and I'm in my 20's so I don't think I should be aging this fast. Don't jump on me for saying this b/c I know I am still young, but I just feel like without makeup I look like crap. I used to be in makeup artistry and hair and when I did that I didn't feel as if I needed it that much.... BUT NOW I do. Dark circles under my eyes.. facial redness, uneven tone...and Lord at the stretch marks on the rest of my body. I haven't gained or lost weight so quickly that I'd have so many stretch marks! I don't have kids either, so I can't use preg as an excuse. I guess it's just my skin now that's diff.Hi Islablue,

The way you feel like your looking without makeup, dark eyes etc Lupus can do that and it may be just slowly be creeping but refering stretch marks i have those on my stomach, legs and under my arms but i think it's when i went blowed up on steriods years back because i'm steralized and never had kids either.
Well maybe it can affect your skin in that way also, that's something i've never looked up really but all the best mate otherwise. xxx

Peridot20_Gem
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Hey all. I'm really glad you brought this up Terri. Lupus has aged me so much just in the last year. The dry skin, hair falling out, and the circles under my eyes have really aged me past my 51 years. And like Mari the weight gain was one of my first problems. I went from a size 10 to a 16 in no time.. So depressing. But i'm working on the weight and i think i will get my hair cut short to make it look a little fuller. My hubby thinks the Malar rash is cute. LOL. What a guy. And by the way, even through all of the pain you ladies have suffered, you are all still very attractive Ladies.Hello Mate,

Now it is lovely to hear off you, you've not been on for abit and i have missed that wit.lol

Well i'm sorry to hear your looking past 51 mate but it's really gone to work on me in the past 2yrs and i don't know if you feel the same sometimes, you look after yourself then realize what a disease is doing and feel like throwing the towel in.

My eyes have been dark underneath since a kid well i know why because of this but i hope you manage to get your weight under control and i'm not being insulting to your hubby but what's going through his head mate to think the malar rash looks cut.lol

Craftkeeper we're all still attractive in our own ways mate and what a lovely thing to say but like i said before great to hear you on line again.

((Hugs & Kisses)) xxxxxxxxx

ruziska
06-11-2011, 05:37 PM
note to self: don't get on the computer after a night of not sleeping. I meant no offense to anyone. I meant that I will NOT let Lupus beat me. Several years ago, back in the days of misdiagnosis, I was on prednisone, methotrexate and plaquenil and lots of shots for migraines. It reeked havoc on my body and my mind. I've looked at pictures of myself then, and that was when my kids were in grade school and I looked more like their grandmother, not their mother. I thought that was my future- an old woman in my 30's. I hated everything about the way I looked. Flash forward to pictures from my son's wedding and I seriously do look younger now then I did then. I've not done the prednisone and the other stuff for years. Do I think Lupus ages us? No. The meds we have to take to live with it and other conditions? No doubt about it.
I sincerely apologize if I said anything offensive. I swear I mean no harm. You all are the best and I am blessed to have found you and this forum.
V/R
"Ruziska" Rita from Montana

mrstjscott
06-11-2011, 06:03 PM
This group ALWAYS amazes me because someone ALWAYS posts something I am going through. I have dark circles under my eyes and make up doesn't help. I'm not sure if I look that much older than I did three years ago. I posted pics the other day. You can check them out.

tgal
06-11-2011, 06:34 PM
note to self: don't get on the computer after a night of not sleeping. I meant no offense to anyone. I meant that I will NOT let Lupus beat me. Several years ago, back in the days of misdiagnosis, I was on prednisone, methotrexate and plaquenil and lots of shots for migraines. It reeked havoc on my body and my mind. I've looked at pictures of myself then, and that was when my kids were in grade school and I looked more like their grandmother, not their mother. I thought that was my future- an old woman in my 30's. I hated everything about the way I looked. Flash forward to pictures from my son's wedding and I seriously do look younger now then I did then. I've not done the prednisone and the other stuff for years. Do I think Lupus ages us? No. The meds we have to take to live with it and other conditions? No doubt about it.
I sincerely apologize if I said anything offensive. I swear I mean no harm. You all are the best and I am blessed to have found you and this forum.
V/R
"Ruziska" Rita from Montana

I am really glad that you are able to be without meds. I do not have that choice. SLE was attacking my brain and heart so quickly that steroids, MTX and plaquenil are not an option for me, they are what is saving my life at the moment. I know you did not mean anything by your comments but please remember that for some of us it isn't a choice. I hope to be like you one day and not have to take these meds, I am sure all of us hope that. Until then though. I will talk looking older as long as I get to continue living and watching my daughter grow up

ruziska
06-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh I'm on meds alright: plaquenil, toradol, mobic, 5000 iu vitamin d3, atenolol and a bunch of supplements. In my particular case, the plaquenil/methotrexate combo along with the prednisone did me in. Totally destroyed my quality of life. I hated every second of it. I was missing too much of my kids' lives much less of my own. The meds were making my life worse, not better. I know they take time and I gave them time. I couldn't handle the side effects anymore. I wanted my life back. My then 9 year old said in her infinite wisdom: "Mommy, nobody has to die to give you new joints". I decided right there and then I'd rather be in a wheelchair, I'd rather find alternative ways to deal with the pain then to continue to go through what I was going through. So I quit those meds, I learned alternative ways to deal and I have. It doesn't work for everyone. I know how lucky I've been. I don't endorse quitting meds to ANYONE. I speak only for myself. In the long run, did I make the right choice? Time will tell. I've done what I thought was best for me and my family at the time.

steve.b
06-11-2011, 08:46 PM
all anyone can do.........
is what is right for them.

it takes a strong person to do what is right, when everyone says it is wrong.

i can only wish you pain free days.

Peridot20_Gem
06-12-2011, 09:18 AM
V/R
"Ruziska" Rita from MontanaHello Rita,

You've said nothing offensive just spoke how you've felt about things but with me it's nothing to do with medication concerning Lupus it's the Disease itself, i was on plaquenil only for 12wks felt bad with some side affects but i re-started it again last thursday because it's really doing me in the disease is in general.

I've had loads of drugs before and still taking them now for different things and it can't be them because i still looked ok on the pic going back
3yrs, it's just pure madness in a way.

I'm pleased your looking younger and it also helps mentally knowing your looking better in yourself. xxx

Peridot20_Gem
06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
This group ALWAYS amazes me because someone ALWAYS posts something I am going through. I have dark circles under my eyes and make up doesn't help. I'm not sure if I look that much older than I did three years ago. I posted pics the other day. You can check them out.
Well i added the thread knowing the difference and in body weight and when the plaquenil really sets in again i go even lower.
I have dark eyes underneath like yourself but it shows more when i'm really down and they seem to go sunken into my head (that's the phrase we use here) lol and i would'nt know if makeup helped have'nt used none in a good while and if i put mascara on all i get is my eyes sore and itching.

Get those pic's on here mate.lol I can't be bothered about showing my mug with what i've gone through over the years besides other's on the site, you just come to the time of being able to get by each day.xxx

Islablue
06-12-2011, 11:08 AM
it takes a strong person to do what is right, when everyone says it is wrong.
Amen brother!

lovedbyHim
06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Strange I replied to this but it was lost in the abyss. When I am feeling well people say I look great. When I am not feeling well I look it. I can see it in my eyes and skin and teeth. I am tired everyday now. Pain has a way of wearing me down as well. I come from a family who has young looking faces in to their 60s (grin). I'm banking on this to make up the difference (giggle). Is that too much to hope for?

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 03:15 AM
I have to laugh because when i was in my early 20's a bloke said to me your one of those women when getting older you'll still look nice and young.

CHRIST WHAT A JOKE

lovedbyHim
06-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Don't worry, your husband will eventually have a sagging chest, POP belly and skinny legs. I'm telling you the truth! Every older man I date at least has the first two. You're a beautiful girl and though this disease is knocking you hard, true beauty lies deep within. Have you ever met a beautiful aged woman. I have. It is because of their substance. I want to be remembered for being beautiful inside. The outside is fleeting. Now get rid of the sore on your nose and maybe you'll believe me (grin).

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 03:36 AM
Don't worry, your husband will eventually have a sagging chest, POP belly and skinny legs. I'm telling you the truth! Every older man I date at least has the first two. You're a beautiful girl and though this disease is knocking you hard, true beauty lies deep within. Have you ever met a beautiful aged woman. I have. It is because of their substance. I want to be remembered for being beautiful inside. The outside is fleeting. Now get rid of the sore on your nose and maybe you'll believe me (grin).My hubby tells me i dow do enough of that GRIN because i'm a serious person always have been.
He's 10yrs older than me but got a stocky body like a footballer and still looks the same in looks from when i met him, a large majority of people think he ah 52 but 42.
Well i ah beautiful but i know when things have cleared better my hair needs a re-cut and dying again, that's always nearly 70 just for that, the hairdressers here have gone expensive.
Plus i know beauty is inside not what someone looks like and i know when this lots shifted i'll look different.

Thanks for helping my confidence along Tammy. xxxx