PDA

View Full Version : Getting a nurse due to heart attack

mrstjscott
06-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Hello everyone. To my surprise, I got a phone call informing me that I am getting a nurse to come to my home to check on me since the "suspected" heart attack. Maybe the doctors didn't want to tell me I had a heart attack because they didn't want me to have a heart attack upon hearing the news. SO, I will let you know what happened when she leaves.

Peridot20_Gem
06-10-2011, 06:41 AM
For a nurse to come in something as happened to you and you was ill at the time as i remember your post you added.

I wish you all the very best and it's just a general checkup and not related to an actual heart attack.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

Gizmo
06-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Hmmm. Maybe it's time to request your records? It definitely sounds like the doctor didn't tell you the whole story - which you have a right to know so you can give accurate info to other doctors who treat you. At the very least, your cardiologist should be talking to your rheumy about what happened to you.

SandyR
06-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello everyone. To my surprise, I got a phone call informing me that I am getting a nurse to come to my home to check on me since the "suspected" heart attack. Maybe the doctors didn't want to tell me I had a heart attack because they didn't want me to have a heart attack upon hearing the news. SO, I will let you know what happened when she leaves.

someone told me once something that rang true about certain doctors. They'll only tell you what they think you can handle knowing and sometimes that means they won't tell you what you should know because of how they think you will handle it. It's another reason it's so important for us to be vigilante advocates of our own health. If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely be calling that doctor and finding out what the heck did and didn't actually happen and why weren't you told about any of it.

ritzbit
06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
This is slightly off topic but I love the show mystery diagnosis and there was a woman on there once that always knew something was wrong with her, went to the doctor, they found something, told her to have surgery. She still had issues and eventually found out they lied to her about what they had done during her surgery! They had found out she had a weird genetic disease called Swyer syndrome and she was technically like a man or something. Always make sure your doctors tell your everything lol I hope you figure out what exactly has been going on with you!

mrstjscott
06-10-2011, 12:30 PM
This is what my release from the hospital papers say: The main reason you were in the hospital was: Atypical Chest Pain
Other health issues that you have include: SLE, Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation.
Procedures that you had in the hospital include: NONE
Inportant tests that you had in the hospital were: 6/2 Nuclear stress: no chest pain/EKG changes/arrhythmias. Normal myocardial perfusion study.
5/31 CT chest: No PE.
Apical left ventricular thinning and low attenuation suggest possible ischemic insult.
The doctor said that they are almost positive I had a heart attack but because the blood work came back ok, then they won't say I certainly did. However, a catscan revealed trauma to my heart.

SandyR
06-10-2011, 01:00 PM
This is what my release from the hospital papers say: The main reason you were in the hospital was: Atypical Chest Pain
Other health issues that you have include: SLE, Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation.
Procedures that you had in the hospital include: NONE
Inportant tests that you had in the hospital were: 6/2 Nuclear stress: no chest pain/EKG changes/arrhythmias. Normal myocardial perfusion study.
5/31 CT chest: No PE.
Apical left ventricular thinning and low attenuation suggest possible ischemic insult.
The doctor said that they are almost positive I had a heart attack but because the blood work came back ok, then they won't say I certainly did. However, a catscan revealed trauma to my heart.

The ischemic part caught my attention. Ischemia - lowering or loss of blood in a particular organ or part of it, in this case you left ventricle which is in your heart. This is why your doctors are almost positive of a heart attack. Aside from severe trauma in the heart or another part of the body or surgery involving a heart bypass, there is no real reason I can think of for your heart to experience blood loss other than a stroke/heart attack.

Do you have a cardiologist? I hope the ER docs asked you to follow up with one.

mrstjscott
06-10-2011, 01:35 PM
The nurse will come back twice next week and then twice the week after that.

mrstjscott
06-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Thank you Sandy. NOBODY - I mean NOBODY has even explained anything like that to me. I have a cardiology appointment on 6/16/11.

mrstjscott
06-10-2011, 01:42 PM
The doctors act like my records are NOT for me to see. I was actually looking at my records one day, while waiting for the doc to come in, and the nurse came in and snatched the records from me. I said, "aren't those records about me? Then why can't I look at them". She gave me a dirty look and walked away with my records.

Peridot20_Gem
06-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Hello mrstjscott,

I'm shocked at that, the nurse snatching your records from you, they've made it legal here here in the uk for patients to have their medical records but some doctor's won't give in with me and it makes you wonder why half the time and it's right what sandy said they only let you know what they want you to. xxx

mrstjscott
06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Which doesn't make any sense. Without me, there would not be any records of me. duh.

mrstjscott
06-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe I should move to the UK. :)

Peridot20_Gem
06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I could write to the administer of the hospital and get them that way by law but the cheeky b.ggers make you pay for it then.

magistramarla
06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm dealing with the same sort of hassle. My PCP and my Rheumy in Texas ALWAYS gave me my own copy of my lab work to keep. The rheumy here won't share anything about my lab work, except that it is "beautiful".
I got lab work done last Thursday, since I'm going to see the doc on the 15th. I asked the tech for a copy of the results to be sent to me. She told me that it can't be done unless the doc requests it! That was not true in Texas.
I'm really getting frustrated with this.
Hugs,
Marla

Peridot20_Gem
06-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Marla,

It looks like a few of we are in the same boat refering rheumo's. Now my dermo doctor does anything for me brilliant bloke and i asked him to print off my results from the rheumo department and he said i would but i'm unable to because it's another section but what the rheumo does'nt tell me with my bloods he does.

They would have helped with your appointment on the 15th as well, it gets my goat with some of them but all the best mate otherwise. xxxx

mrstjscott
06-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Hi Marla,
I really don't understand the reason for not allowing the patient to see information about themselves. There should be no hipa laws involved because they are MY RECORDS. I mean, what are they hiding? IDK.

Hugs to you.

P.S.
Maybe if I become a squeaky wheel, I will get some oil.

Peridot20_Gem
06-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi Marla,
I really don't understand the reason for not allowing the patient to see information about themselves. There should be no hipa laws involved because they are MY RECORDS. I mean, what are they hiding? IDK.

Hugs to you.

P.S.
Maybe if I become a squeaky wheel, I will get some oil.Good one mate because it sounds like that's what you need to be.

magistramarla
06-11-2011, 08:36 PM
I've got a great way to approach the rheumy next week. Our insurance company has assigned a nurse to call and check up on me periodically because they flagged me as having a chronic disease. The lady is a gem!
She asked me about numbers from my labs, such as ANAs, SSAs, SSBs, Cholesterol, etc. I read her all of the info from my last report from the Texas doc.
When I told her that my last cholesterol was "beautiful" according to the rheumy, she told me to use her as an excuse to get a copy of the report from the doc.
She told me to tell her that the insurance nurse has been calling and demanding it for insurance purposes.
Wish me luck - that's what I'm going to do next week.
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
06-11-2011, 08:57 PM
i hope it works.

we are lucky in australia.
our records are easy to access.

my rhuemy gave me my first copy of blood results, to keep as a baseline.
i get to see every result.
we go through the results one at a time to see how things are being managed.

tgal
06-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Fingers are crossed for you~

giggle
06-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I have had my records snatched from me as well in the same manner! I really think they write notes in your records they dont want you seeing, like "is a difficult patient" or "is having a breakdown" or "its all in his/her head" or many various other things they shouldnt be writing. But here in australia... and I am sure around the world, such things would come under a freedom of information act. I doubt there are any circumstances in which an organisation can keep records on you without you being able to access them.

I think you should demand all your records now, just because that one was such a pain! : )

mrstjscott
06-12-2011, 06:18 AM
I am going to find out. I do believe that if I request a copy of my records, they will charge me a fee (something like $1 per page). As vast as my medical records are, I would be paying the equivalent of a month's rent. LOL

Peridot20_Gem
06-12-2011, 09:04 AM
I've got a great way to approach the rheumy next week. Our insurance company has assigned a nurse to call and check up on me periodically because they flagged me as having a chronic disease. The lady is a gem!
She asked me about numbers from my labs, such as ANAs, SSAs, SSBs, Cholesterol, etc. I read her all of the info from my last report from the Texas doc.
When I told her that my last cholesterol was "beautiful" according to the rheumy, she told me to use her as an excuse to get a copy of the report from the doc.
She told me to tell her that the insurance nurse has been calling and demanding it for insurance purposes.
Wish me luck - that's what I'm going to do next week.
Hugs,
MarlaAh Marla,

Who's a clever woman then, i really does hope it works for you mate and i'm touching wood this end GOOD LUCK

Luv Terry xxxxx

Peridot20_Gem
06-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi Giggle,

I'm sure that's why the Rheumo won't hand me mine over because of having a psychiatric history and my psychiatrist says the same, as he's told me he's known people take drastic steps with their lifes off results but it ah right.

Peridot20_Gem
06-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I am going to find out. I do believe that if I request a copy of my records, they will charge me a fee (something like $1 per page). As vast as my medical records are, I would be paying the equivalent of a month's rent. LOL

I do know here like i stated earlier if doctor's won't hand stuff over and the administrator of the hospital allows permission for you to have them, it's 10p a sheet here in the uk.

I do wish you all the best also. xxx

SandyR
06-14-2011, 12:08 PM
The doctors act like my records are NOT for me to see. I was actually looking at my records one day, while waiting for the doc to come in, and the nurse came in and snatched the records from me. I said, "aren't those records about me? Then why can't I look at them". She gave me a dirty look and walked away with my records.

Your medical record rights in the state of Pennslyvannia (http://ihcrp.georgetown.edu/privacy/stateguides/pa/pa.pdf). Marla is right, you are entitled under HIPPA and under your state laws. You may, however, have to provide a written request for a copy of your records and sign a HIPPA Medical Record release form to yourself that is provided by your doctor and it may take a few days/weeks for them to take the time to make those copies for you. Although the nurse shouldn't have been so nasty and you are within your rights to know your medical record contents, most doctors offices are really just playing the CYA (Cover Your A$$) Medical-Malsurance game so they can't be sued for providing your information to an unauthorized party.

Gizmo
06-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I copied this from The Privacy Rights Clearing House:

Your ability to see your own medical records is probably the single most important right you have under HIPAA. Before HIPAA, your right to see or copy your medical records often depended on your state laws. Now, HIPAA sets the national standard, or floor, meaning that states can give you greater rights to access your medical information, but state laws cannot take away the fundamental access rights you have under HIPAA.

Does HIPAA allow me to get my original records?

No. HIPAA only gives you the right to get copies of your records. Or, if you choose, you can ask to see your medical records or ask for a summary of your medical file.

Do I have to submit a written request for my medical records?

HIPAA does not require a written request. However, if your provider requires a written request, you must be given notice of this. Some providers may have a form specifically for this purpose. Or, the provider's privacy policy should tell you how to request your medical records.

Even if your doctor does not require a written request, it is always a good idea to put your request in writing. That way, you have a record of important details such as when you filed your request and the record you requested. For a sample letter to request a copy of your medical records, see www.privacyrights.org/Letters/medical2.htm.

When will I get my records?

Usually, you should get your copies within 30 days of the request. Under HIPAA, if the process takes more than 30 days, you must be given a reason. Your state law may give you the right to receive your records more quickly. In California, for example, you should be able to see your medical records within 5 days and get a copy within 15 days. For more on your rights to access under state laws, see http://hpi.georgetown.edu/privacy/records.html.

Do I have to pay for copies of my medical records?

Probably, yes. HIPAA says you can be charged a "reasonable, cost-based fee." This means you can be charged for supplies and staff time for copying your records. You can also be charged for mailing records, if mailing is what you request. But, you should not be charged for time spent searching for your records. Nor, should a provider have a policy of charging all patients a flat fee.

Do I have to pay for a summary of my medical file?

Yes, but you must agree to the fee in advance.

Can I be denied access to my medical records?

Yes, in a few circumstances. For example, you cannot access psychotherapy notes or information compiled for lawsuits. Your request can also be denied if the provider decides the information you want could reasonably endanger your life, your physical safety or that of another person. A written denial letter is usually required. In some cases, you can appeal a denial. If so, you should be given instructions on how to appeal in the written denial.

mrstjscott
06-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Thank you so much for this information and I will definitely use it.