PDA

View Full Version : lesson learned

ruziska
06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
I know I'm not the first person to do this and I won't be the last. I've seen others admit it and I join them in this confession: I went off my meds and now I regret it. The week prior to Easter I had a 101 degree fever and felt like death warmed over for a week. I was drinking cough syrup by the gallon and didn't want to find out how my meds would interact with the cough syrup. I got out of the habit. Bad me. Very bad me. Lesson learned. Tonight I start the regimen again and stay with it. Lesson learned. Paying for it big time.

rob
06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I've never stopped my meds, but I'll admit that when I'm feeling really well for a couple of days in a row, it is awfully tempting to just stop, and forget about the whole damn thing. No more meds, no more rheumo's, no more pain. I guess being here everyday is my reality check that keeps me focused on doing the right thing to keep my symptoms somewhat under control. I can't really remember anymore what it was like to be just me, rather than me with all the autoimmune problems. I wish I didn't even know what SLE, MS, or TN stands for.

Anyway, you made a mistake that any one of us could easily make, but now you've done what you had to in order to fix the mistake, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Rob

ritzbit
06-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I've done it too many times, and paid the price. My family found out and made me get good about it again. I think the last time I went off them last fall for a few weeks probably contributed to a really bad flare in March, the worst I've ever had. If you feel like you're going to be bad about them talk about it here and we'll knock some sense back into you ;P I know I need it sometimes.

tgal
06-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I agree, I wish I had never heard of Lupus, TN, seizures (the list goes on) but I have and I know what I have to do. I made a decision the end of the year to come off just the plaquenil because I "was gonna show the doctors". Yeah.. that's right. I was so very bright. Even though I stayed on the other meds and only stopped for a few weeks I became really ill. I am still trying to overcome the hole that I dug for myself. Once was enough for me.

Ritz, you are young and I know you just want to find a "normal" life. I understand that you look around and think of all of the things that others do that you can't but you have to find a way to remind yourself that you only have a chance of doing those things IF you take the meds. Like it or not those are our lifeline to a life well lived. You can have one, Ritz. I have no doubt that I will be hearing stories for the next several years of your wonderful college life and then the plans you make after. For the most part we control our own destiny with these diseases. Yes, we have bad days (weeks) but if we do what we know we have to do, if we take our meds and don't fall for the lies that too many people want to pass as the truth, there is a happy, full life out there for us. There is a life better than you have imagined but it means you have to fight the urges that you have to toss the pills. You have to begin seeing those meds as your ticket to a life well traveled instead of what holds you back from one.

Peridot20_Gem
06-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi ruziska,

I know you've learnt a lesson mate by pulling off your meds and i'm on loads myself but i could'nt do it if i wanted to certain tablet's i'm on my system is addicted to them and what i go through missing just a couple of courses is hell.

So please take them properly and if you don't want the medication, ask them to withdraw you slowly as it can make your system so upset it's unbelieveable.

I hope your feeling better now??

Terri xxx

rob
06-10-2011, 04:52 PM
To Ritz's credit, I have seen her come a long way in her time here. She's overcome some difficult things.

Rob

Peridot20_Gem
06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
To Ritz's credit, I have seen her come a long way in her time here. She's overcome some difficult things.

RobRob, what a lovely statement refering to ritz.

tgal
06-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I am confused. I thought you said in the thread about aging that you haven't been on meds since your kids were in elementary school. I know your kids are in their 20s now so did I get confused?

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Hi Rita,

How you feeling now startingback on your meds, please keep we updated please mate so we know your fine.

((Hugs)) Terry xxx