PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have hyper pigmentation in V shap on chest?

lovedbyHim
06-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Okay my next question is this. For about 4 years now I have had a dark red/tan V shaped skin color on my chest that never goes away. It lightens in the winter, but remains. Does anyone else have this. I use lots of sunscreen to prevent it from darkening but it doesn't help. Just wondering if this is a common thing. I looked on line and found nothing. Thanks.

red246
06-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Do you mean kind of like a constant tan/slight burn from wearing a v-neck? If so, yes. My neck/face is pretty much "flushed" constantly, especially when I'm hot - then it's really bad! Mine doesn't matter if I go outside or not, I seem to be bothered more by the heat than anything else.

magistramarla
06-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Exactly!! I have it too, and I've had it for many years. My mother and my aunt both had it, too.
They both had RA, and had lots of the same symptoms that I now have, so I'm sure that they had some undiagnosed AI diseases.
The docs seem to dismiss it, but I wonder if it is a tell-tale sign?
Hugs,
Marla

tgal
06-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Add me to the list! I also have this and I have a patchy look to the rest o my chest and my arms. My mother had the chest thing too and I have come to believe that she had an AI disease as well

steve.b
06-08-2011, 09:52 PM
i have one as well.
it looks like a tee shirt v line, but actually is a different size.
it is bigger than any of my shirts.

tgal
06-08-2011, 09:58 PM
wow! Isn't it amazing how many things may be caused by this disease that we don't even think about? I am going to have to look into this one~=

Peridot20_Gem
06-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Hello Tammy,

I know my rheumo said i had my lupus from birth so i'm not sure if it was both parent's or one of them but my mom had that from when i was young and it was classed as a dark pigment to the skin and as she got older with blood pressure it went darker.

I hope you find out the cause. xxxxx

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 02:46 AM
WOW! I KNEW IT! THANK YOU ALL! I will share this with my rheumy. My sister has it and has RA. I have 2 brothers with vitalego. Sheesh! Gosh I love yas!

debbie-b
06-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Mine is not on my chest, but right under my neck, like a v- neck shirt, but I don't own any v-neck shirts.
The color is a reddish brown.

Debbie

tgal
06-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Mine is not on my chest, but right under my neck, like a v- neck shirt, but I don't own any v-neck shirts.

Debbie

That is where I am talking about Debbie. On my chest like a V neck shirt. I guess some people don't consider that the chest but that is where I am talking about. Another togetherness moment LOL

debbie-b
06-09-2011, 07:17 AM
That is where I am talking about Debbie. On my chest like a V neck shirt. I guess some people don't consider that the chest but that is where I am talking about. Another togetherness moment LOL

You are right, I consider the chest much lower, lol.
I also ask my rheumy about it and he just shrugged his shoulders.
But if alot of lupies have it, it must be connected.

Debbie

Linda From Australia
06-09-2011, 07:19 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, can someone post a photo here please

debbie-b
06-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Hi Linda I'll see if I can find one, but right now I have to go to work.

Debbie

Peridot20_Gem
06-09-2011, 07:28 AM

DebbieDebbie as hit it right on the nail Tammy that's how my moms was.

Peridot20_Gem
06-09-2011, 07:35 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, can someone post a photo here please
Hi Linda,

This is what we're on about with a V shape but it's also a pigment off the skin and besides your neck they come in other places.

http://i53.tinypic.com/14mxvr4.jpg

Peridot20_Gem
06-09-2011, 07:44 AM
That is where I am talking about Debbie. On my chest like a V neck shirt. I guess some people don't consider that the chest but that is where I am talking about. Another togetherness moment LOLMari,

Do you know what makes me laugh besides my mom having that mark otherwise, both my parent's and 2 sisters are pale skinned and here's me got the look of tanned skin all over and 12yrs back i had pigments on my face in lines and around my neck, they left my face but my necks scared on the right hand side just around the back.

It's like you said you don't know what this disease can cause, brilliant point there mari.

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I will try to get one. But is it my chest or not? Lol I feel so bonded now! What shall we call this new symptom? "vtan"?

SandyR
06-09-2011, 09:03 AM
This is what we're on about with a V shape.

http://i53.tinypic.com/14mxvr4.jpg

Add me to the list. Thanks for posting this! I can't tell you the number of times I tried to scrub that spot off and that only made it redder and irritated. I always just thought it was from the sun and wearing v-necks because I never wear scoops, only v-necks. I just gave up and forgot about it.

Peridot20_Gem
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
I will try to get one. But is it my chest or not? Lol I feel so bonded now! What shall we call this new symptom? "vtan"?Good one mate. lol

Peridot20_Gem
06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Add me to the list. Thanks for posting this! I can't tell you the number of times I tried to scrub that spot off and that only made it redder and irritated. I always just thought it was from the sun and wearing v-necks because I never wear scoops, only v-necks. I just gave up and forgot about it.Forget the scrubbing sandy, it's off the lupus mate as i read it marks pigments to the skin.

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I posted pics from my Droid. They should be in my profile. I am at work and my main pc is down. Check and see someone. The vein you will see is from the thyroiditis. I just get prettier and prettier from this SLE. Lol

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE VALIDATION!

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
OK I DID IT! I was able to put my Vtan pic in my profile. If you go there and click on it and then click on the picture that comes up it will enlarge it and you will see the darkened area. It's darker than the picture, but it should give you an idea. I hope. I was also able to add my face to the Avatar. LOL I am so proud of myself! If my kids could see me now! Hope this picture helps.

magistramarla
06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Yes, I think that we have definitely struck on yet another tell-tale sign that our docs can ignore!
Hugs,
Marla

Peridot20_Gem
06-10-2011, 01:35 AM
The V shape to the neck is LESION'S OF LUPUS also known as Hyperpigmentation or Hypopigmentation.

LUPUS OF THE SKIN
What are the symptoms of cutaneous lupus?

Cutaneous lupus includes a variety of symptoms of skin rashes, where exposure to UV light triggers a rash and can be seen on the inside of the mouth or nose.

What do the rashes look like?

The rashes of cutaneous lupus can appear in various forms they include the following: A butterfly rash a very distinctive rash that could extend across the cheeks of the face and the bridge of the nose. It may be flat or raised, bright red or just mild coloring, light pink color in the skin. The face shows the rash in a pattern like a butterfly, the wings being beneath both eyes and the body covers the bridge of the nose.

Another rash is a discoid rash which is coin shaped or oval in shape, like a disc which is mostly seen on areas of the skin that are exposed to the sunlight. Discoid sores tend to be red in color raised and are scaly. The may leave a scar once healed. The rashes can change the color of the persons skin, making the lesions area darker or lighter then before. Discoid lesions appear on the face and scalp in a butterfly shape, especially the v of the neck which receives sunlight. Discoid lupus erythematous (LE) lesions are painless and do not itch.

Chronic cutaneous lupus may also appear in different forms including:

1. Verrucous wart-like discoid LE

2. Lupus Tumidus - elevated areas of red skin with no scale or scarring

3. Lupus Profundus - discoid skin lesions in conjunction with panniculitis

4. Palmar-Plantar Erosive Discoid LE - discoid lesions on the hands and feet

Subacute Cutaneous Lesions: is another form of lupus skin rash these lesions are classified by there redness. Other classifications include coin shaped lesions, they are very sensitive to light and tend to get worse with UV light exposure. They do not leave behind any scaring, but they can appear in large areas of the body. Subacute Cutaneous lupus erythematous (SCLE is a subset of cutaneous lupus) may very well experience symptoms that are systemic which include the following:

* muscle and joint pain, fever and, general discomfort.

Serious problems are rare involving kidney or the nervous system.

Cutaneous lupus rashes are rarely seen, the appearance of these skin rashes vary and are difficult to diagnose by the eye so other test are necessary to diagnose them.

How is cutaneous lupus diagnosed?

Cutaneous Lupus is very difficult to diagnose because of the variability of the skin rash appearances. A skin biopsy can be performed to diagnose the rash.

What kind of Doctor specializes in cutaneous lupus?

Cutaneous lupus involves the skin, hair and nails and as well a Dermatologist would be the one who specializes in this area.

How is cutaneous lupus treated?

Cutaneous lupus treatment may include corticosteroid creams or ointments applied to the rash or lesion. If the lesion does not respond to the cream the doctor may prescribe corticosteroid injections directly into the lesion. If the lesions are widespread oral corticosteroid medications are prescribed or the doctor could prescribe antimalarial medication such as plaquenil another word being hydroxychloroquine.

Additional medications such as sunscreen with the prevention of photosensitivity reactions which could occur with cutaneous lupus lesions.

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Awesome research! Thanks so much. I will take all of this to my next doc appointment!

Shaztwirl
06-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Me too!!! I've had this "V" for years although mine usually extends a bit further either side of the V. When it's bad I have several different types of rash on it. I have areas that look like broken veins where you can see the blood. I have several little blood spots. Can't remember the word . . . hang on while I Google! Petechiae! I also have lots of ordinary looking red spots and when it get's really bad blistery looking areas. My rheumy told me without even getting within 2 feet of it that I just have spots!!! I'm getting so angry again just thinking and writing about it.

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Amazing! I a lesion on mine presently. I am going to print this stuff if I can figure out how! Educate...educate so the next client is treated better I guess.

Peridot20_Gem
06-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Tammy,

At the top of your screen where you have tools etc on the right i've got print there, if you've got the same press print it may do the one page of comments or all 6.lol

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 03:56 AM
I love you peridot!

Peridot20_Gem
06-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Even better mate.lol if your pc or laptop as a notepad in it copy the info and paste it into the notepad section file it and then print it.

leslieann226
07-04-2011, 03:02 PM
this is crazy to me!! I can not believe you all live with this too! I've had this redness for as long as I can remember!!!! Everyone always thinks it's sunburn, but it is no different in the winter than it is in the summer. My new PCP is the only one that has ever been really alarmed by it. I took some pics to take to the docs with me, so I'll post them here for you all. so glad to have found this group!

Peridot20_Gem
07-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Leslieann,

It's to do with the Lupus it can give you red markings of pigmentation or brown, i seem to carry brown ones but i do know the sun can make it go darker as it used to my mom.

It would be nice to see the pic's added to this thread because it alerts member's of what we're all going through besides new member's looking at the threads.

Terry xxx

leslieann226
07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
here are a couple photos....

Peridot20_Gem
07-04-2011, 05:25 PM
here are a couple photos....

Leslieann,

It does look so sore but the one on the right of the screen, that's how dark the sun sent my moms and thank you so much for adding them to the post.

Terry xxx

GeoKasher
07-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Amazing! I a lesion on mine presently. I am going to print this stuff if I can figure out how! Educate...educate so the next client is treated better I guess.
I have the V-shaped rash also. It always looks like I'm sunburned, even though I'm seldom outside. I currently have a discoid rash in that area also that started out looking like a really sore pimple.

lovedbyHim
07-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Geo isn't funny how many things we do have in common? It's nice not to feel so freakish (grin). Isn't it?

Peridot20_Gem
07-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Tammy, with what we all suffer we mays well be glued together...mind you i know it looks sore but at the same remembering my moms it looked good refering a Tan.lol