PDA

View Full Version : Yoga and veggies?

ritzbit
06-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Does anyone here do yoga? And if so does it help? I think Im going to start with some basic stuff today. My therapist motivated me to start doing it because I've been saying I would for at least a month. Also, is anyone on a vegetarian diet? I am thinking about talking to my doctor about starting one in the next few months. I've always wanted to and I think I will have an easier time doing it when I'm on my own at college.

debbie-b
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Ritz,

I have never tried yoga, i don't think that my old, beat up body, could move that way.
The only thing I do is walk when I can.
There is no way, I could ever be a vegetarian, because I love meat to much. But I do eat healthy, lots of veggies, some raw, some cooked or steamed, I also eat fruit every day.

Debbie

tgal
06-06-2011, 10:57 AM
No yoga for me. My body couldn't handle it. As for the vegetarian diet, one of my first doctors suggested that. Then another suggested all organic, another atkins..lol I have always just tried to eat a healthy diet until I read about Atkins type of diet helping seizures. That is what I am doing now. Let us know how it goes!

ritzbit
06-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Everyone keeps telling me yoga is pretty easy on the body, thats why Im trying it. My knees are too much of a mess all the time to do much walking.

SandyR
06-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I loved yoga when I was doing it about 7 years ago. I also loved Pilates. I think Pilates is a little gentler. You might want to try that first. Yoga, while very very good for a normal body, can be a little stressful on a challenged one. There are different kinds of yoga too - hot yoga for example is in a very warm room and is supposed to help keep your joints "fluid" but really stresses me out because I find the air to be smothering. Not ideal for excersize. You'll have to try it out. Take baby steps. Try a different form if the one you are doing doesn't work.

ritzbit
06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Im determined to start being healthier in all aspects of my life, not just lupus related things. I think trying to improve everything will help with that as well. I've been reading this book and while I think some of it is complete crap it still holds a good idea. Do any of you use alternate medicine also that helps you? Im thinking of asking my doctor if and what I can add that might make me feel better. There's a lot of things in this book from all walks of life. I think its interesting. If any of it could help me out I'd be willing to try it.

SandyR
06-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Im determined to start being healthier in all aspects of my life, not just lupus related things. I think trying to improve everything will help with that as well. I've been reading this book and while I think some of it is complete crap it still holds a good idea. Do any of you use alternate medicine also that helps you? Im thinking of asking my doctor if and what I can add that might make me feel better. There's a lot of things in this book from all walks of life. I think its interesting. If any of it could help me out I'd be willing to try it.

define "alternative medicine". if you mean prayer therapy, chiropractics, certain vitamins and stretches, than yes. If you mean following some sort of "cocktail regiment" or "diet therapy" than no.

ritzbit
06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
No I mean other things like I've heard of people taking stuff like fish oil and stuff along with their meds and that it helps. Along with the yoga and new therapy I want to add in stuff like that to see if it helps. Like I saw people talking about ginger or something like that for nausea in another thread. I need something to help with my stomach other than just more pills lol tums and prilosec arent cutting it so I think I need some natural stuff that would help.

lovedbyHim
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Ritzbitz, I have tried a lot of different things to avoid so many meds and side affects from them. I tried a homeopath. She did not help me. I tried a diet rich in goats milk products, keifer, etc. This seemed to stop my gastric issues. I ate organic for years & still try to eat at least half organic, but the price of it is so much to afford. I continued to have flairs while on organics.

I take lots of vitamin supplements to help with hair,skin,nail,bone,and energy issues. My hair is much thicker now. I don't know if It's from vitamins or meds I take. Lol. I tried herbs for inflammation and pain. They barely touched it. I'm sorry to say.

What has truly helped me is walking, stretching, reducing stressors, avoiding negative people, hanging out with positive people, laughing, ATTITUDE toward the new me, gratitude for each new day given to me, helping others and forgetting I am sick for awhile, using my time wisely and not over doing it, and above all my hope and faith.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck in school. Take good care of you!

steve.b
06-08-2011, 08:57 PM
ritz, may i first say, be careful.
i do not want to discourage you, i do not want to belittle you.
but you are young and impressionable.
many of us have tried different things, i will share some of mine with you.

please read carefully and evaluate fully before trying anyones ideas, even mine.
do not trust someone to the point you disregard doctors advice.

i supplement my medicine, with some natural items.
i talk to my doctor before i try any of these.

i am currently using:
folic acid
fish oil
magnesium
vitamin c

i have also removed certain foods from my diet:
i eat sweet potatoe, instead of the white ones
i eat light rye wraps instead of normal bread.
i eat a lot more veges, even the horrible green ones.
i have removed lollies and chips.
i have replaced sugar with stevia.
i have removed soda and soft drinks.
i have increased nuts and grains.
i have increased fruits (whole not canned)

hopefully these ideas help. please remember talk to your doctor before trying anyones ideas.

this is a life style change, not a fad diet.
i am now healthier for this change.
my weight is slowely reducing.
only slowerly as my body readjusts to the new me.

tgal
06-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Hey ritz! I understand exactly what you are trying to do but, like the others have mentioned you do not want to do ANYTHING until you speak to your doctor. Even "natural" things can interfere with our meds. We tend to look at vitamins and such as something that cannot hurt us but remember arsenic is a natural thing too but you don't want to take much of it in. Talk to the doctors to make sure that it won't cause you any harm before adding even "natural" things to your body.

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Yes tgal is right! I got worse on zinc and iron and found out later it causes inflamation. Be careful and if you start anything do it slowly and one at a time so you can see what really helps. Some made me feel like vomiting. Bless you on your search for a healthy way of living!

Noelene
06-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi Ritz. I'm new to all THIS and hope my switch 10 months ago to raw low fat vegan (80.10.10. diet by Dr Doug Graham) to going to help me instead of taking medication. This diet enabled me to get off my epilepsy meds and stop fitting. So here's hoping. I used to belong to a Tai Chi group and have just this week, returned to doing it at home since I gave up the heavier work on an agricultural farm picking spring onions. I'm sick and tired though. Sorry it's too early for me to be more positive and have experience of what might help us all. My daughter lives in America & her friend is doing yoga and is a vegan and has just come off her meds. I'm interested to know her progress too.

Linda From Australia
06-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Hi Noelene ... YAY .... West Aussies are becoming popular here. You have no idea how much you have made my day. We just lost one of our friends to the Eastern States, and now you have come to join the crew.

Let me read your thread so I can chat to you... yippee for us sandgropers!!!!

Linda From Australia
06-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Being on a healthy diet and exercising is an excellent way of making sure you have the best chance of fighting illness. However, you need to be careful about thinking that it will mean that it can replace medication. If you are sick, you need medication, and living a healthy lifestyle will help the medication to work better. Since you have not being diagnosed with anything at the moment, I think you are doing the right thing. But if in the future you are told you need to take medication, TAKE IT. Especially if you have an autoimmune disease because if you don't, you'll only get sicker. Think of a diabetic deciding not to take their insulin injections because they are on a super healthy diet and exercising, it won't be long before they are in a coma.

ritzbit
06-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Im thinking of asking my doctor if and what I can add that might make me feel better.

Always talk to a doctor about adding new diets and never stop taking your pills. Hope I didnt come off sounding like thats what I was doing because its not. I dont have another appointment until the beginning of August though so I'll be starting alot of this right before college starts.

SandyR
06-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Always talk to a doctor about adding new diets and never stop taking your pills. Hope I didnt come off sounding like thats what I was doing because its not. I dont have another appointment until the beginning of August though so I'll be starting alot of this right before college starts.

If you decide to start this and your doctor gives you the go-ahead (I think) it would be a good idea to call him/her now and see how the changes work when you are off this summer and not when you start something new and stressful, like college.

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 08:37 AM
I think we all just want you to be safe. As for me I made a lot of dumb choices to avoid the meds. I'm now on 7 lol.

Have a great time at school! I wish you much success!

ritzbit
06-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm not trying to avoid my meds. And I can never get ahold of her by phone. So Im just going to wait on the diet and anything other than the yoga until August. I went there not long ago and sat and sat and sat waiting for an hour and was so aggravated that I waited almost 2 hours before seeing anyone that I didnt ask her about the diet part. I hate when that happens. I will just wait.

tgal
06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi Ritz. I'm new to all THIS and hope my switch 10 months ago to raw low fat vegan (80.10.10. diet by Dr Doug Graham) to going to help me instead of taking medication. This diet enabled me to get off my epilepsy meds and stop fitting. So here's hoping. I used to belong to a Tai Chi group and have just this week, returned to doing it at home since I gave up the heavier work on an agricultural farm picking spring onions. I'm sick and tired though. Sorry it's too early for me to be more positive and have experience of what might help us all. My daughter lives in America & her friend is doing yoga and is a vegan and has just come off her meds. I'm interested to know her progress too.

While we all look for ways to stay healthy the best answer about diet comes from the Lupus Foundation of America. There is NO proof that any type of diet will allow someone to get off their meds. LAO information is found HERE (http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_learnliving.aspx?articleid=2281&zoneid=527)

We Have Lupus rules about making promises about a cure for Lupus can be found below

How To Get Banned From WHL

Dear WHL Family;
There are several ways that you can get banned from WHL and they are listed in the board rules. However, I wanted to discuss one way that will ensure a permanent ban from this site:
If you submit a post that, in any way, intimates that you have found, are the recipient of, know of, have possession of, a CURE for Lupus that does not include regular supervision by a medical doctor or the continuation of medical treatment and prescribed medication, then you will be immediately banned, for life, from WHL!
If you submit a post, making the above claims, and asking members to contact you, via your e-mail, so that you can peddle your supposed cure, you will be immediately banned, for life, from WHL.
If you berate, demean, or otherwise belittle a member of WHL who gives you a warning, who exposes your intent, or who requests that you discontinue or modify your approach, you will be immediately banned, for life, from WHL!

Now, let me explain my reasons:
WHL is a support group where we provide comfort, support, understanding, research, answers, and acceptance for anyone suffering from an auto-immune disorder.
This can be a very frightening disease which can, in its worst forms, still be fatal. It is a chronic disease, meaning that we may have some form of it for the remainder of our lives.
As such, many of us suffer greatly due to this disease and we often reach a point where we simply want our lives back, we want the disease to go away, and we want to be healthy again. In our efforts to do this, we are often willing to try almost anything that promises that it will accomplish this for us. Knowing of this possible desperation, there are those who claim that they know of a cure, that they've been cured, that their sister, cousin, mother, brother..whatever, has been cured. They also go so far as to claim that our current medications are poisoning us, that our doctors are liars and are only after our money, and that we (ourselves) want this disease because we are unwilling to try their proposed cures. These people are (as Rob so eloquently described them) 'Snake Oil Salesmen' and 'Charlatans'. People who prey upon the desperation of ill people in order to make money.
My daughter, who lost her life to Lupus, in her desperation while away at college, stopped taking her medications and tried one of these proposed cures. As a result, she suffered irreparable damage to her heart (which was being protected by the Prednisone that she abruptly stopped taking in order to try the remedy suggested by one of these Snake Oil Salesmen). A short time later, she lost her life when the damage to her heart caused her heart to just stop functioning entirely!
So, I am personally and vehemently against any of these people being allowed on WHL. I will not allow them to prey upon any family member here. WHL is here to offer protection and to be a safe place for each member. As such, Rob, Tgal, and I have formed a wall around each of you to shield you and to protect you from persons who do not comply with the founding principles of WHL!
Thank You All for all that you do in support of one another!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

rob
06-09-2011, 07:11 PM

The Dr. Doug Graham you are referring to, is a non-practicing Chiropractor. To say he has no qualifications to treat a complex autoimmune disorder such as Lupus, would be an understatement. Beware of charlatans, there's a lot of them out there.

Rob

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes I wasted 1000s of dollars on those who made me feel WORSE!

rob
06-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes I wasted 1000s of dollars on those who made me feel WORSE!

Hey, I can see you!

Always nice to put a face with the words!

ritzbit
06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I tried to be a good lupie today and sat with my back to the sun at my brothers baseball game with an umbrella and still came home feeling drained, after having a good day. Could the heat make me feel like crap too?

Side note, my grandma took me to lunch today and gave me a beautiful opal ring as my grad present. I am sad however to find out that they can be ruined very easily so Im only going to wear it occasionally. I wish I could wear it everyday!

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Lol yes I figured it out! On my own! I am still in shock! Okay now stay with the topic, quacks that take all our money and make us feel worse(grin). Think of all the shoes I could have bought.

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Opal is my birthstone! They are beautiful. I'm so happy for you!

rob
06-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I tried to be a good lupie today and sat with my back to the sun at my brothers baseball game with an umbrella and still came home feeling drained, after having a good day. Could the heat make me feel like crap too?

It does for me, everytime. My problem with the sudden inability to tolerate heat was one of the major reasons I left the desert southwest for a cooler climate. My Mom also has SLE, and she can't tolerate heat either.

tgal
06-09-2011, 08:33 PM

Side note, my grandma took me to lunch today and gave me a beautiful opal ring as my grad present. I am sad however to find out that they can be ruined very easily so Im only going to wear it occasionally. I wish I could wear it everyday!

Yes Ritz, the heat can do it too! I am from Texas and we have been over 100 for way too long now. When summer gets here I am locked inside more then I am in the winter when it is 30. I can add more clothes and get warm but I can only get so cool in the heat. Summer is my worst time of year

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I too get very drained, headache, and have to sleep. Summers are rough when it is in the 90s ad it has been here.

Noelene
06-09-2011, 08:57 PM
My sincere apologies for offending you inparticular and other members. I seemed to have gotten off on the wrong foot. Thank you all for your comments, I will take all of it seriously. As I stated, I'm very scared of the side effects of medication and purely looking for all "outs" rather than take them. As a result of reading the forum, and talking to my Mum (who also has Lupus) I feel as though I don't have any other choice and that is what I was asking opinions with. I have them now and can go to my next docotors appointment more open minded. cheers Noelene

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 01:37 AM
In seriousness I too looked for all outs for a long time I even milked goats and drank it warm to receive its benefits hoping it would work. Meds are frightening because they can cause side effects as I am presently experiencing. But here is how I see it. Does it give me quality of life? My ankles are now very swollen but the extreme pain and muscle spasms are under control and I can laugh again. The meds to quiet the lupus gave me back my life. My new life (smile). You offered no one that I can see. Bless you in your search for answers.

ritzbit
06-10-2011, 07:13 AM
My sincere apologies for offending you inparticular and other members. I seemed to have gotten off on the wrong foot. Thank you all for your comments, I will take all of it seriously. As I stated, I'm very scared of the side effects of medication and purely looking for all "outs" rather than take them. As a result of reading the forum, and talking to my Mum (who also has Lupus) I feel as though I don't have any other choice and that is what I was asking opinions with. I have them now and can go to my next docotors appointment more open minded. cheers Noelene

I am a big one who hates pills. And I've taken them for just over 2 years now, and have still not come to accept them. I know that they are what I need. Doctors won't give you anything though if they dont think the possible side effects out weigh what the meds will do for you. I had to take huge doses of steriods recently and my body basically had every side effect possible from them. But in the long run they got my blood vessels to stop being inflammed and allowed me, after the swelling went down, to walk normally again. I had not so pleasant side effects but wouldnt have traded those steriods for anything. I cant imagine what could have happened to other parts of my body if we hadn't attacked so vigorously. Meds suck but they do alot of good too. If they didnt our doctors wouldnt give them to us.

ritzbit
06-10-2011, 07:16 AM
There has been heat emergencies out and I think with the heat index or whatever it felt like it was over 100. We thought I'd be ok because it was later in the afternoon but I felt awfully tired for just sitting outside.

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 08:21 AM
The heat is horrible here too ritzbit. Dring lots, cold rag on back of neck and forhead always helps. Cool baths and fan, helps too. Hang in there. Gotta rush. On the road again.

ritzbit
06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Thats the hard part. I cant hold anything cold for long, because it will make my Raynauds act up bad lol I need to live in a bubble, with a completely controlled temp and such just for me lol =)

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Get the winter gloves out and drink iced tea, lol. I have Raynauds to. It's my red/blue feet that are making me crazy in sandles. My boss just looks down at my feet repeatedly. I think she believes I'm sick when they are like this. Sometimes she forgets(giggle). It kinda helps ya know? Keep cool!

ritzbit
06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I know what you mean. If it weren't for purple fingers and ulcers I would have never been sent to see a rheumy a few years back. It is sometimes my biggest problem because of the ulcers especially.

Noelene
06-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Thank you for your understanding and support. Big Hug, Noelene

Linda From Australia
06-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I am glad you feel so accepted Noelene. We here to help and support you. Keep your questions coming, that is how you will learn to be healthy, or at least, as healthy as possible

Noelene
06-11-2011, 09:19 PM
G'day Ritzbit,
Just found your post and thanks for your sharing. I hope you are doing better today. My big day for results is tomorrow. I promise to be open minded about the meds if needed. I'm more in tune to my body this morning as to what activities cause more pain and I've even lost my appetite for good choice food as I feel so sick. Just chilling out on some really nice saxophone music. take care Noelene.

lovedbyHim
06-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm sorry you don't feel well. I hope you feel better soon. When I went for my first rheumy appointment I thought I had enough symptoms to write a book. She started asking questions and I never realized some symptoms to be lupus related. Yes be in tune with what is happening and write it all down. I hope your appointment goes really well!

ritzbit
07-02-2011, 02:39 PM
So I've put it off and put it off and this is what Im doing tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3vLZqPZxZE

Nat
07-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Hey ritz
I've found pilates really good for strengthening my muscles I tried yoga for a while but just seem to like pilates a bit better. There's parts of it that I can't do when my joints start to get sore because I notice most of my pain in my knees but I do find that the more I do it the more I feel it helping. In saying that I've been particularly slack lately so haven't done heaps!!
In regards to the alternative medicine, I've only used things my gp has given the go ahead to because my warfarin interacts with literally everything I put in my mouth but I take vitamin d and calcium because I'm on steroids and fish oil sometimes which is good for inflammation. Check with ur gp what is suitable for u tho!! Good luck with the healthy changes, I desperately need to get some motivation to do the same thing!

Elo
07-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I completely know what you mean :) I haven't tried yoga myself, but i've thought about it- that or trying to swim, because my joint pain and fatigue are such that I can only do really low impact things, and walking isn't really cutting it.
A book that I found to be really helpful that you might want to check out is Living With Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You That You Need To Know, by Mary J. Shomone.
Of course, it is a few years old and I'm sure you know a lot of what it has to say, but it also speaks to trying alternatives (In addition to meds and your doctors/specialists guidance!!) to try to help with the pain and living with the disease.

My doctor personally suggested that I try going on an anti-inflammatory diet. The thought is that a great amount of the pain, especially with joints, is caused by inflammation, which can be increased and made worse by the foods we eat. So that means trying to cut out those foods.
What I'm thinking of trying is an elimination diet. You eliminate a food that is known to increase inflammation from your diet for two weeks. Keep track of your symptoms, and then reintroduce the food back into your diet and see if you feel any noticeable worsening. Most of the foods are things like dairy (surprising amounts of people are lactose intolerant), Gluten (Especially because people with Autoimmune diseases tend to have a bigger risk towards Celiac disease, so cutting out wheat for a trial period is a good idea), as well as red meat, potatoes (white ones, not sweet potatoes), and fried food.

My doctor also had me go on Fish Oil and Vitamin D. Vitamin D might be especially good for you if you don't spend much time in the sun, hehe :)

Another alternative to Yoga or Pilates might be Tai Chi, since it's really quite gentle.

Edit: Woops, just read the rest of the thread, and I know for me, heat is a big no-no! I feel much worse whenever i'm exposed to high heat and humidity. Today I was a huge grouch and felt horrible because it was like 98 degrees with something like 90% humidity. Yuch!

Peridot20_Gem
07-03-2011, 10:10 AM
All i can say on the subject is s.d yoga trying to bend with hardly any ligament stretch in the back of my legs is bad enough but ladies and gents i do get my greens...got no choice with my hubby. lol

missfearless
07-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Hey girl! I think we'd definitely benefit from exercise and yoga seems safe enough. We don't have to go out in the sun! As for veggies, they're definitely good and I also agree with the post above that you should avoid food that can cause inflammation. Blue berries and black berries are good anti-inflammatory fruits.

I used to be a carnivore, never ate greens but now I've incorperated greens into my diet and the doctors say my SLE is under control. I won't advise eating vitamin supplements though. They can cause constipation. I'd suggest the natural way and eating the fruits and veg itself. Maybe you can make a salad but spice it up a little? I was flipping through a magazine the other day and saw some interesting salad receipes.

pizza salad: 2 handfuls baby arugula + 1 slice toasted Italian bread, torn into small pieces + 1/2 cup diced or shredded mozzarella cheese + 1 handful sliced mushrooms and/or sliced red and green bell pepper + 1 to 2 tbsp. sliced black olives + 2 tbsp. Italian vinaigrette.

You don't have to go vegetarian (I sure don't intend to) but you can make sure you have at least enough servings of veg and fruits per day and avoid soft drinks, fried food, fast food and junk food like chips etc.

Peridot20_Gem
07-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Hey girl! I think we'd definitely benefit from exercise and yoga seems safe enough. We don't have to go out in the sun! As for veggies, they're definitely good and I also agree with the post above that you should avoid food that can cause inflammation. Blue berries and black berries are good anti-inflammatory fruits.

I used to be a carnivore, never ate greens but now I've incorperated greens into my diet and the doctors say my SLE is under control. I won't advise eating vitamin supplements though. They can cause constipation. I'd suggest the natural way and eating the fruits and veg itself. Maybe you can make a salad but spice it up a little? I was flipping through a magazine the other day and saw some interesting salad receipes.

pizza salad: 2 handfuls baby arugula + 1 slice toasted Italian bread, torn into small pieces + 1/2 cup diced or shredded mozzarella cheese + 1 handful sliced mushrooms and/or sliced red and green bell pepper + 1 to 2 tbsp. sliced black olives + 2 tbsp. Italian vinaigrette.

You don't have to go vegetarian (I sure don't intend to) but you can make sure you have at least enough servings of veg and fruits per day and avoid soft drinks, fried food, fast food and junk food like chips etc.Hi missfearless,

I know exercise is good for you...years ago i used to weight training, jogging, play badmington and did 2yrs of boxing and i loved it all but just yoga would be a struggle now with my hips and if i'm not scootering around on my rollator it's my wheelchair..it makes you look at your life hard from what i was doing at 18 and a pure mess at 42.

I definitely get my veggies, cauli, broccoli, cabbage which i hate, carrots, peas the lot my hubby makes sure of that being the chef.
I will admit i never touch fruit and i've tried bananas but they lodge on me through the sjogrens.

I don't have vitamin supplements either because they constipate me straight away but my hubby as just started me on garlic tablets this week and he's salad mad i'm sure i've got an hutch outside.lol

magistramarla
07-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I completely know what you mean :) I haven't tried yoga myself, but i've thought about it- that or trying to swim, because my joint pain and fatigue are such that I can only do really low impact things, and walking isn't really cutting it.
A book that I found to be really helpful that you might want to check out is Living With Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You That You Need To Know, by Mary J. Shomone.
Of course, it is a few years old and I'm sure you know a lot of what it has to say, but it also speaks to trying alternatives (In addition to meds and your doctors/specialists guidance!!) to try to help with the pain and living with the disease.

My doctor personally suggested that I try going on an anti-inflammatory diet. The thought is that a great amount of the pain, especially with joints, is caused by inflammation, which can be increased and made worse by the foods we eat. So that means trying to cut out those foods.
What I'm thinking of trying is an elimination diet. You eliminate a food that is known to increase inflammation from your diet for two weeks. Keep track of your symptoms, and then reintroduce the food back into your diet and see if you feel any noticeable worsening. Most of the foods are things like dairy (surprising amounts of people are lactose intolerant), Gluten (Especially because people with Autoimmune diseases tend to have a bigger risk towards Celiac disease, so cutting out wheat for a trial period is a good idea), as well as red meat, potatoes (white ones, not sweet potatoes), and fried food.

My doctor also had me go on Fish Oil and Vitamin D. Vitamin D might be especially good for you if you don't spend much time in the sun, hehe :)

Another alternative to Yoga or Pilates might be Tai Chi, since it's really quite gentle.

Edit: Woops, just read the rest of the thread, and I know for me, heat is a big no-no! I feel much worse whenever i'm exposed to high heat and humidity. Today I was a huge grouch and felt horrible because it was like 98 degrees with something like 90% humidity. Yuch!

I really like everything that Elo said here. I've had two different docs tell me to take fish oil and vitamin D. Talk to your doc first, and have your vitamin D level checked.
Did you know that there are spices that help with inflammation? Cinnamon, Turmeric and Curcumin. Of course, you would need HUGE and dangerous amounts to bring down inflammation, but increasing the use of them in your regular cooking can't hurt! I like to sprinkle extra cinnamon on my breakfast cereal. I make low-fat, healthy Mexican foods with LOTS of cumin added, and we love Indian dishes with turmeric.

I've found that getting adventurous with healthy recipes has been fun and good for both my diet and my hubby's. There are lots of good recipe books out there - go play!
I have daughters who have had to learn how to cook lactose-free and gluten-free because of intolerances. There are also lots of good recipe books out there for those.
Just buy healthy, whole, unprocessed food, and you can't go wrong.
Hugs,
Marla

dawn patrol
07-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Exercise is wonderful. If not yoga.. the only yoga I've tried is the P90x yoga and that was uber intense lol.. try water aerobics or swimming in an indoor, heated pool. It will take the stress off your joints.
As for the diet it is about elimination, isn't it? Getting rid of the nightshade family has been a bitter pill for me to swallow.

Good luck and take care

steve.b
07-05-2011, 09:04 PM
i agree with elo and marla.

eliminating certain foods is a healthy alternative.

it is not about saying no.
it is about finding alternatives.

for me....
i eat sweet potatoe instead of white.
i eat wraps instead of bread.
i use stevia sugar instead of suga cane sugar.
i drink decaf instead of caffinated coffee.
i use motzarella cheese instead of dairy cheese.

substitute not eliminate.

i am definatelly healthier for my changes.
my son was going to a pediatrition.
he had weight problems because of his medication.
this diet has helped him.
my wife has just had her first knee replacement.
she needed to loose weight to have this operation.
this diet has helped her.

find a healthy substitute......
do not concentrate on having to remove items from your diet.

lovedbyHim
07-06-2011, 03:01 AM
Steve I am in agreement but must say Stevia is so bitter in some things. I can't seem to get used to it.

Also, what is mozzarella cheese made of? It's not dairy?

steve.b
07-06-2011, 05:24 AM
there is a few types of stevia.
the main 2 comercial brands are owned by pepsi and coke.
opvia has a bitter aftertaste.
natvia has a sweeter aftertaste.
i hate opvia.
also there is afew that are 1/2 stevia / 1/2 sugar.
why bother?

mozzarella is proccessed differently.
somehow in the proccess, it alters the chemical composition.
mozzarella reacts differently with the body.
some lactose intolerant people can still eat it.

i am not a scientist so it beats me..... but cheese is not cheese.

Elo
07-06-2011, 05:27 AM
i am not a scientist so it beats me..... but cheese is not cheese.

It's a miracle!!!!!

But seriously, that's really cool. I did not know that... and I'll use that as a justification to eat more mozzarella!

steve.b
07-06-2011, 05:51 AM
it is the only cheese i now eat.

lovedbyHim
07-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Ok I am in. Will it do anything for the tic I just pulled OUT OF MY THIGH! OMGOSH I AM IN A BAD MOVIE!

Elo
07-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Yes. First, you must take said tick and slow roast it. Due to the size and small amount, I suggest holding it over a flame using tweezers. A gas stove works great. Next, deposit your tick into a small glass bowl (MUST be glass, or else a light green color. Any other color and it just doesn't work right), and squeeze the juice of half a lemon into said bowl. A lime works too. Be careful - do NOT get any juice in your paper cuts. Also, no seeds in the bowl. Let the tick sit and marinade in this natural cleaner for anywhere from 30 seconds, to 5 minutes 6 seconds. Any more than 5 minutes, 6 seconds (or 306 seconds), and it will be too soggy to work with. While this is soaking, prepare the ingredients for pizza dough on your counter.
Using the tweezers, move your tick from the small glass/green bowl to another bowl, preferably of a bright color such as pink or red, to wait for when you next need it.

Prepare pizza dough. Spread out on baking tray. Stab the dough with a fork, to rid yourself of frustrations and possible air bubbles. Spread spaghetti sauce on pizza dough.
Now, this is extremely crucial, so pay close attention.

Grab your brightly colored bowl with the lemon/lime glazed tick, and keep your tweezers at the ready. Spin around clockwise, exactly 5 times, and sing out these magical words:
"Oh tick, stupid tick, horrible tick, beautiful tick. I have bathed you in your favorite type of bowl and seasoned you with your favorite citrus. Thank you for blessing me with your horribleness. I shall now give your body the proper send off that it deserves, O' Icky one".

Quickly, using your LEFT hand, and only your left, place the tick in a very specific spot on the pizza. This spot will jump out at you, remember it.

Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the rest of the pizza, bake for 25 minutes, or until perfection.

Serve to enemies.

This ensures that the magical ickiness of the tick be washed off of you and instead transferred to people who are as icky as the tick was. Also, burning things you hate is fun.

steve.b
07-06-2011, 06:21 AM
and i thought i had a problem ??????????????

rob
07-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Yes. First, you must take said tick and slow roast it. Due to the size and small amount, I suggest holding it over a flame using tweezers.

I'm kinda bleary eyed and slow on the uptake this morning. When I first read this, I thought you said dick, not tick.

I'll be OK, really...

Elo
07-06-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm kinda bleary eyed and slow on the uptake this morning. When I first read this, I thought you said dick, not tick.

I'll be OK, really...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

*dissolves into fits of laughter*

I just hope your reaction was of humor, not of horror.

*giggle*

rob
07-06-2011, 06:43 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

*dissolves into fits of laughter*

I just hope your reaction was of humor, not of horror.

*giggle*

Definitely humor! Especially if you go back and re-read the whole thing with all the "ticks" changed to dick...

Elo
07-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Definitely humor! Especially if you go back and re-read the whole thing with all the "ticks" changed to dick...

By gads! You're right.

"This ensures that the magical ickiness of the tick be washed off of you and instead transferred to people who are as icky as the tick was. Also, burning things you hate is fun."

Heh...heheh... That is just so juvenile and hilarious.

lovedbyHim
07-06-2011, 08:27 AM
OMGOSH! I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! Guess where that tic is right now? Carefully embedded into the bar of soap. He looks like he is posing for something. I saved it for my BF to see. Now if I end up in the hospital and forget to tell him about the soap and he stays at my house to tend my dogs, won't he be surprised when he takes a bath?

magistramarla
07-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Wow, the humor around here is getting really, really bad. I love it!

lovedbyHim
07-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Wow, the humor around here is getting really, really bad. I love it!

I know I love it too. We just have to laugh at this stuff! otherwise we focus on our crap!
Hey, I'm stil here! Will update later. must rest.