PDA

View Full Version : The adventures of living with an "adult" child

ruziska
06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Darling daughter strikes again! That girl is on a roll. After work today, she graced us with her presence before taking off for the evening. I know that technically she is living here again as her stuff is all over my house (I so did NOT miss that). She has paperwork that she MUST complete and the sooner the better. She's been sitting on it for 2 weeks. Before she took off, I asked her if she intended to do it (it will cost her a fortune if she doesn't). She's been telling me for the past week she'll "do it tomorrow". Her response? "You do it, I have a life" SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Wait a minute! She's been yelling the 18 year old battle cry of "I'm an adult and expect to be treated like one", yet suddenly, she choses to abdicate responsibility. Her father and I very politely refused to do it for her and reminded her that she is an adult now and if she wishes to be treated as one, she needs to act like one. She did the paperwork. Now we'll see how long it takes her to turn it in. Darling daughter- a constant source of joy and amusement!

giggle
06-06-2011, 02:56 AM
: ) you raised her

tgal
06-06-2011, 10:17 AM
LOL The joys of motherhood!

magistramarla
06-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Ruziska,
Oh, I do feel for you! I've just been informed that my youngest (age 24) will be moving back into our house in a year, along with the hubby, baby boy and two huge Dobermans.
Tyler will be getting out of the military as soon as his deployment to Afghanistan is over (he hates it over there) and will be working in the family business with his Dad, as well as National Guard Reserves.
We've been living in CA for the past year and a half because the AF sent my hubby on a three year gig to get a PHD at the Naval Postgraduate School. We rented our huge house out, and we'll be returning to it in Texas when Jeff graduates. Meg decided that it would be great for them to take the upstairs of our house while they save money to buy property and build a house. She also thinks that it will be great for Ryan to spend time with his grandparents (translated free babysitting).
We were already planning to leave Texas again as soon as we could, since I've discovered that I feel much better where the weather is cooler and the humidity is lower. Now we will REALLY be in a hurry to get out of there. I love my kids and I adore the grandkids, but I've learned to love my peace and quiet and too much togetherness breeds contempt.
My friend, I'll be going through what you are, and then some!
Hugs,
Marla
(who really, really loves Northern California)

ruziska
06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
update: she moved out tonight. Found a great apartment nearby. This time SHE is the lease holder and is NOT living with a boyfriend. As long as she has a her job, she'll be there awhile! I love her dearly, but it truly is time for her to have her own nest.

magistramarla
06-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Lucky, lucky you.
I'll look for you when I need a shoulder to cry on in a year and a half.
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
06-07-2011, 11:36 PM
so you like to say hello.............

but love to say goodbye.

lol

Saysusie
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I know that this must be a big stress reliever for you :-) Hopefully, it will help to mature her a bit more and make for a better relationship between the two of you. I wish you the very best :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie