PDA

View Full Version : I try not to miss the little things.

lovedbyHim
06-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Yesterday I sat and watched butterflies on my flowers and how amazed my my 1 year dog was as she has never seen a butterfly. It was the sweetest thing. Then, a beautiful hummingbird arrived. I thought to myself, " Try to remember to appreciate the little moments in life and be grateful." I am grateful that I found this forum. You are all so encouraging.

Linda From Australia
06-05-2011, 03:28 AM
I was so excited the other day when I broke my nail, and the edges were not very rough, so I could get away without filing it.

Over the last few months, instead of feeling miserable as I got sicker, I have been appreciating more and more things. Well, this last week I have been having an increasingly difficult time being positive. But I put my mask on, and try to smile all the time.

I was playing a game with tgal yesterday on chat. You had to say something negative about if you were better. Instead of thinking about how things are worse now that we are sick. For example:

If tgal was better, she would ruin her daughter's life by spying on her when she goes out
If I was better, I wouldn't have realised that the new Apple computer can talk to me, instead of me having to read everything
If tgal was better, she would be using way too much money on gas going back and forth to work
If I was better, my Rheummy wouldn't be able to afford his really nice 3 week holiday
If I was better, no one would laugh at my jokes like the people (or tgal) does at my jokes (insert, people on WHL only laugh at me because they feel sorry for me and my pathetic jokes)

lovedbyHim
06-05-2011, 04:33 AM
This was great. I think the twisted humor is vital now! Great game! Thanks for the smile you brought me.

rob
06-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Yesterday I sat and watched butterflies on my flowers and how amazed my my 1 year dog was as she has never seen a butterfly. It was the sweetest thing. Then, a beautiful hummingbird arrived. I thought to myself, " Try to remember to appreciate the little moments in life and be grateful." I am grateful that I found this forum. You are all so encouraging.

Just last night, I sat out in my backyard and watched the fireflies. Hundreds of little green lights blinking on and off. It made me think back to when I was a kid. We'd set up a tent and "camp out" in the backyard, and we'd catch a bunch of fireflies, put them in a mason jar with a few holes poked in the lid, and use it as a night light. (we'd let them go in the morning)

We have a bunch of hummingbirds here. I have a hummingbird feeder outside of my kitchen window, and my cats love to sit and watch them do their thing. I love the little things too!

ruziska
06-05-2011, 07:44 AM
The other day I pulled over to watch kites flying, just because I could. I've not done that in years, much less flown a kite. I have kites. I should get them out.

tgal
06-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Great thread!!! My daughter showed me this last night and it was so sweet! It made me smile and I hope it does you also. Make sure to watch to the end. It really is the little things that matter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vw4KVoEVcr0#at=48

BonusMom
06-05-2011, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=rob;88055]Just last night, I sat out in my backyard and watched the fireflies. Hundreds of little green lights blinking on and off. It made me think back to when I was a kid. We'd set up a tent and "camp out" in the backyard, and we'd catch a bunch of fireflies, put them in a mason jar with a few holes poked in the lid, and use it as a night light. (we'd let them go in the morning)

Superman and I were talking the other day about fireflies. Neither of us have ever seen them and thought how neat it would be to go camping and have them all around you.

Maybe I should add fireflies to my bucket list.

lovedbyHim
06-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Isn't it wonderful to see the good that comes from chronic disease? Would we have this perspective otherwise. I too have a bucket list! Rob reminded me to get to it! Thank you all for blessing me with your descriptive little things (((hugs))).

bunny28
06-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I had the best weekend of happy thoughts.

I watched my son ride a tricycle by himself for the first time and today catch his first fish with his daddy by his side.

I said something to my husband today that I need to learn to take to heart: "If I ever get to the point where I can't work or need a walker/wheelchair or lose the freedom to do as I wish, I know for sure that I will never say, I wish I had spent that Sunday vacuuming the house." Today I put the dirt aside, and spent the day living my life. There's a lesson there for all of us, whether we have a chronic illness or not.

lovedbyHim
06-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks bunny, that was precious. Yep, we learn to value our moments more. When I feel well I suck life in like a sponge. When I feel sick I search for something to be grateful for. Oh I cry, but I still search. Thanks again for your dear picture, as I am very visual.

SandyR
06-09-2011, 08:39 AM

I love this! It's so easy to overlook the everyday little moments and to miss the miniscule special ones wrapped up inside them. Good for you for taking the time to sit and appreciate life. *big smile*

Peridot20_Gem
06-09-2011, 09:42 AM
What makes me really happy if it's not raining, is going out of a morning first thing for a cuppa and sitting and watching the birds as i enjoy them so much because if young ones come down i fed them and protect them till they're ready to fly and my boy bruno never hurts them.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2dj2ped.jpg

lovedbyHim
06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I guess that comes from wondering if you're going to be around at all (smile). I noticed something else. My sense of smell and taste have intensified. I am also more passionate about loving all, even the unlovable. I don't want to miss a thing except sky diving and raw fish.

magistramarla
06-09-2011, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=rob;88055]Just last night, I sat out in my backyard and watched the fireflies. Hundreds of little green lights blinking on and off. It made me think back to when I was a kid. We'd set up a tent and "camp out" in the backyard, and we'd catch a bunch of fireflies, put them in a mason jar with a few holes poked in the lid, and use it as a night light. (we'd let them go in the morning)

Superman and I were talking the other day about fireflies. Neither of us have ever seen them and thought how neat it would be to go camping and have them all around you.

Maybe I should add fireflies to my bucket list.

BonusMom,
We haven't seen fireflies since we lived in Ohio. Jeff grew up seeing them in upstate NY and I grew up seeing them in Illinois. They were non-existent in Texas.
Are they only found in the upper Midwest and Northeast? I sure haven't seen them in Ca. I miss them, too.
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
06-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I guess that comes from wondering if you're going to be around at all (smile). I noticed something else. My sense of smell and taste have intensified. I am also more passionate about loving all, even the unlovable. I don't want to miss a thing except sky diving and raw fish.

You're missing something by refusing to try the raw fish! Sushi is one of my great joys in life. We ate it everywhere we went in Japan, and it's almost as good here in Ca.
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
06-09-2011, 09:45 PM
My lovely little moment happens every time I drive out of our neighborhood and I see the beautiful Monterey Bay spread out before me. I have to remind myself to pay attention to the road - I just want to drink in that view.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
06-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane isn't really the most logical thing a person can do, but it sure is fun! I'm with you on the raw fish though.

Living with all of this A.I. stuff has really caused me to stop and smell the roses. I used to be so driven, so focused on my career and such, that I think I missed a lot of really nice things in life for many years. Not anymore.

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Sorry friends you can't convince me otherwise. Sushi gives me the wigglies. I mean willies. Rob do you have a need for speed? I have a need for hiking slow(grin). On solid ground. " Getten slower all the time"

Shaztwirl
06-10-2011, 02:39 AM
My beautiful moment is happening right now. My gorgeous little girl is on my lap and cuddled right into me. And even though it hurts like hell to have her up here, I'm going to tolerate it as long as possible. Cuddles are the most precious thing xxxx

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 04:03 AM
YES they are shaxtwirl. Enjoy every minute. I hurt for days after rough housing with my grandchildren. Awe but it is worth it to me.

Nonna
06-10-2011, 04:27 AM
Just last night, I sat out in my backyard and watched the fireflies. Hundreds of little green lights blinking on and off. It made me think back to when I was a kid. We'd set up a tent and "camp out" in the backyard, and we'd catch a bunch of fireflies, put them in a mason jar with a few holes poked in the lid, and use it as a night light. (we'd let them go in the morning)

We have a bunch of hummingbirds here. I have a hummingbird feeder outside of my kitchen window, and my cats love to sit and watch them do their thing. I love the little things too!

I miss firefies, I don't see them down here like when I was a kid up north. I think all of us must have did the mason jar thing when we were young

thanks for reminding me

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 04:42 AM
We have tons here around July. We I was a kid I used to tear the glow part off and make diamond rings.

rob
06-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Rob do you have a need for speed?

Gee, what ever gave you that idea? (sarcastic smiley face).

As a matter of fact, I will be feeding that need tomorrow. My instructor is quite happy with my progress, and I may just make my first full throttle run down a full 1/4 mile track tomorrow. Full speed in my class equates to 180-190mph. Gonna be fun!

Rob

rob
06-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I miss firefies, I don't see them down here like when I was a kid up north. I think all of us must have did the mason jar thing when we were young

thanks for reminding me

We get them each year starting in late spring up here. There's often a very light fog or mist at night here, and it makes the glow of the fireflies look almost surreal. The air gets really still, and all I can hear is the sound of the stream that runs out back. Add to that the soft glow of the moonlight over the mountains and islands, and you really have something special. If this isn't paradise, it'll do until paradise shows up.

Rob

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi Rob, I had 4 brothers who would tear the glow part of the firefly and smear it on me. Well it was just so darn pretty so I thought, make some jewlery(grin)!

OK speedy be safe. Is that an oxy-moron? Going 18o miles an hour and being safe?

rob
06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi Rob, I had 4 brothers who would tear the glow part of the firefly and smear it on me. Well it was just so darn pretty so I thought, make some jewlery(grin)!

OK speedy be safe. Is that an oxy-moron? Going 18o miles an hour and being safe?

I knew this rather twisted kid that lived down the street who would take fireflies and load them into a BB gun and shoot them at things, leaving these glowing green splats behind.

Anyway, 180 on a track in a dragster is statistically safer than driving home in rush hour traffic, or so they say... Actually, the car, and the safety gear, like the parachute and firesuit is state of the art stuff, and is really effective. The cockpit is like an armored pod, it's very solid. I even have two fully automatic fire suppression systems onboard that activate in an accident, even if the driver can't reach the fire button. And, the track safety personnel are top notch folks, all are off duty EMT's and rescue personnel. I'm pretty confident in all of it, but I am also cautious, and very safety conscious.

I look at it this way- On the track, doing solo practice runs, the only speeding maniac behind the wheel of a car I have to deal with, is me!

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Wow rob I never looked at it this way. I feel better about the diamond ring thing as it only took one behind of the bug not an entire army to have fun.

As for the safety, doesn't seem odd that you would need all those fire extinguishers in a car? Just sayin.....(grin)

I do get that there are more nuts on the road as I drive about 150 miles a day seeing clients in 4 counties. It's a wonder that I am still alive after 10 years of it. Have a great day!

rob
06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Wow rob I never looked at it this way. I feel better about the diamond ring thing as it only took one behind of the bug not an entire army to have fun.

As for the safety, doesn't seem odd that you would need all those fire extinguishers in a car? Just sayin.....(grin)

I do get that there are more nuts on the road as I drive about 150 miles a day seeing clients in 4 counties. It's a wonder that I am still alive after 10 years of it. Have a great day!

Well, you know what they say, it's better to have something and not need it!

I know what you mean about traffic. I used to commute about 80 miles a day In Phoenix, which is our 5th largest city. It was insane. Crazy drivers, tourists, road rage, too much stress really.

Hey, do you still go hiking? That used to be my main form of outdoor activity back in Arizona. I had to basically give it up, lost all of my endurance after getting SLE. Is there good hiking in your part of the world?

Rob

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh my word PA is filled with beautiful lush mountains, waterfalls, lakes, etc. I am still able to hike off and on. I have a group of girlfriends I go with and hike two days @ 7.5 miles a day. I was recently not able to join them due to muscle pain, spasms and weakness. I was kind of low about this, but I got a beautiful card from them on the trail. I am walking about 2 miles a night now trying to build back up. I used to be a marathon runner. I ran 10 miles a day. Sometimes I really miss the old me(smile). Like you, I try to keep living life to the fullest as best I can. Thus far my tears are much less and my humor is coming back. Have a wonderful day racing!

Tammy

rob
06-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh my word PA is filled with beautiful lush mountains, waterfalls, lakes, etc.

For some reason, I thought you were from Australia. All I had to do was look at your location line. DUH! I'm just up the road from you. I live on the coast of Maine, near the town of Searsport. That's awesome that you are stil able to get out there and go hiking. I miss it.

lovedbyHim
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Just up the road.LOL! Main is very mountainous and filled with water, isn't it? Your state is very rocky as well I believe. I have a friend who hikes the AT trail and finished Main. I think this is how she described it. I love PA. I have been all over many states, but not much north of me. I so appreciate mountains and shade. I thought I would die in the south. We are very fortunate to be able to find cool shady places to play in the summer.

My Rheumy was so pleased with how well I was doing. I was preparing on wearing a backpack and carrying 30 lbs. Then I started having fibromyalgia symptoms and my rheumy has me on two new meds. I am so tired and numb skulled. I am forgetting whole words, spelling badly, etc. It's hard to accept. Especially when I do my docs at work. LOL

Well best of luck as you enjoy the rest of your day.

Tammy