PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on how to find relief from medication induced nausea?

lovedbyHim
06-04-2011, 03:56 AM
I have recently been put on skelaxin and cymbalta for pain management and spasms. I am Nauseated so much and have bad headaches. I've been at this for weeks. The meds are helpful. My vertebrae will move in groups once it kicks in.

Gizmo
06-04-2011, 04:11 AM
For a natural remedy you can try ginger. Health food stores carry it in chewable form (like taffy) or sometimes hard candy. Some brands are pretty strong, so my daughter dissolves the hard candy in hot tea sometimes. My mom used to make my brother tea from the leaves of celery for colic. Just put the celery leaves in hot water and steep. Some people get help with nausea through accupuncture.

I imagine you have tried taking your meds with food, and just before bed so you you hopefully sleep through the worst of the nausea. There are prescription nausea meds. My daughter takes promethazine (Phenergan) and Zophran around the clock to control her chronic nausea. Have you talked to your doctor about the side effects you are having. He/she may have some suggestions or want to try you on a different dose or dosage form.

Nasea and headache - yuk! Hope you find some relief quickly!

steve.b
06-04-2011, 04:37 AM
when my meds make me sick. i take moxolon. in tablet form.

Linda From Australia
06-04-2011, 04:37 AM
1) I eat every 2 hours, and make sure I don't get hungry. I have been told that hunger can make you feel sick
2) Eating small amounts of frozen yoghurt every now and then helps
3) Distracting myself, for example, watching a funny movie
4) Take prescription medication for nausea, but it does make me drowsy

Hopefully you will start to feel better soon

tgal
06-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I know this is going to sound silly but it really works. I couldn't take meds when I was preggers with my daughter so my doctor told me about this.

Grate a red apple and set it aside until it it begins to turn brown. Once it is brown eat about half of it. If, after about 20 min you are still feeling ill, eat the rest of the apple. It worked for me most of the time!

Peridot20_Gem
06-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I've found eating when i have nausea helps the symptoms also plus some water besides helps and that's only drunk when needed.

lovedbyhim, I do hope your able to sort something as there's nothing worse.

lovedbyHim
06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Thank you all for your ideas!!! I will try them. What a gift you are for me right now!

lovedbyHim
06-06-2011, 02:36 AM
wow! I feel a lot better. I moved some meds around. I am on 7 prescriptions now. It seems the skelaxin anew cymbalta together made it much worse. I just changed the times I take the one. Today I will get ginger for those moments. Thanks everyone!

Peridot20_Gem
06-08-2011, 06:28 AM
I've been taking drugs for 25yrs and what you've done by altering them around to suite you and your body is the best thing you can do.

As i've done it myself and i do hope your nausea eases, i have that at times and it is terrible so i know how you feel and a large majority of us.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

rob
06-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Good thread!

Every few months I get an IV Medrol (prednisone) infusion to keep the de-myelination effects of MS in check. It makes me nauseous without fail. My neurologist told me to take Benadryl for it, and it actually works well. I take two of the pink coated generic tablets with milk and it does the trick. If you decide to try it, make sure your Dr. gives you the OK first, you don't want any bad interactions with the meds you take.

Somebody mentioned ginger. I've not tried the chewable or candy form, but I've drank gingerale and it's helped.

Rob

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Tammy here's some info i've found to help with nausea and vomiting and what symptoms can occur and what to take to help the nausea besides everyone giving great advice besides.

You should see a doctor immediately if the following signs or symptoms occur:

blood in the vomit ("coffee grounds" appearance)
severe headache or stiff neck
lethargy
confusion
decreased alertness
severe abdominal pain
vomiting with fever over 101 degrees Fahrenheit
vomiting and diarrhea are both present
rapid breathing or pulse
What can be done to control or relieve nausea and vomiting?
There are several ways to control or relieve nausea; however, if these techniques do not seem to ease the queasiness, consult your doctor.

When trying to control nausea:

Drink clear or ice-cold drinks.
Eat light, bland foods (such as saltine crackers or plain bread).
Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods.
Eat slowly and eat smaller, more frequent meals.
Do not mix hot and cold foods.
Drink beverages slowly.
Avoid activity after eating.
Avoid brushing your teeth after eating.
Choose foods from all the food groups as you can tolerate them to get adequate nutrition.

lizbond36
06-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Rob is right I drink gingerale and crackers, my meds for pain and spasms don't make me sick only couple times and I been taken those for almost 2 months. My meds work with Lupus and MS. :-)
Hugs
Liz

Peridot20_Gem
06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Well i'm glad what you take what Rob mentioned helps Liz because i can't stand gingerale and i've never been one for crackers only xmas time.lol

The spasms are the ones what hurt you when they inflict but as long as the stuffs helping and your ok with it then carry on mate, to help your meds work to how they should.

((Hugs Terry)) xxx