PDA

View Full Version : Putting things in perspective

lupiegirl
06-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I was starting to feel sorry for myself because I wasnít feeling well when I received word that a friend of mine had fallen and is now paralyzed from the neck down. Sort of puts things in perspective.

My focus has changed.

SandyR
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your friend but you are so right. Sometimes it takes hearing of some situation that is noticably worse than ours for us to realize that things aren't as bad as they could be.

tgal
06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I too am sorry for your friend but I have one of those same kind of things that USUALLY keeps everything in perspective for me. A friend of my daughters. Just turned 17. Top of his class. Was going to go to college on a baseball scholarship. Now his life consists of fighting brain tumors and other cancers (he has 2 or 3 kinds). He has been fighting for over a year and is about to have a bone marrow transplant. As I said... usually keeps things in perspective for me. It says a lot about you that you allowed yourself to see it that way. My thoughts are with your friends. Please keep Dylan in your thoughts as well.

Saysusie
06-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. Yes, these things do force us to put our lives in perspective. I just hate to hear about anyone's misfortune and I am trying hard to maintain perspective, knowing that there are so many who are suffering so much more than me.
Keep your head up OK?

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
06-03-2011, 09:46 PM
OK. I will admit something terrible about myself. While I know that I am luckier than those mentioned above in some ways I am envious. Not of their situation but of the "name" of their situation. What I mean is this: The first time someone says "paralyzed" everyone gets it. Oh poor joe blow, that has to be so hard on him. The first time someone says "cancer" everyone gets it. "Oh you know that chemo has been so hard on him". What happens when I say "Lupus". Nothing. I have everyone looking at me like I am lazy, crazy, and just didn't want to work anymore. While I don't want the disease/damages these people have I would give so much to have people "get it" for us the same way it happens for them

Linda From Australia
06-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Your friend has a really tough road now, thankfully he has such a good friend to be by his/her side

I know exactly what you mean tgal. When I mention my daughter is autistic, they get it.