PDA

View Full Version : Question....

Toradoradi
06-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Alright so this is in no way discrediting any sort of DX or treatment or anything of that sorts. I am not in denial about having lupus. I have accepted it. I am living with it. I am doing what I need to do. I totally am on board with this thing. My friend however, asked me about Lyme disease because it's so similar to lupus of can be misdiagnosed as lupus. So I did some research but was getting irritated with google. My question is, are the test they do for lupus the same test that are positive for lyme. Do you have a high ANA with both diseases? Elevated ESR rate with both? Or are they two different testings? I got tired of looking around the sites to figure it out so I thought maybe someone here would know.
As I said before, I am not questioning I have lupus, or living with it or whatever. I know some can get very irritated about people asking these questions on here! I was simple curious and wondering if they were the same testing and if it is something I should be concerned with at all.

tgal
06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I know that with me, I was tested for that 3 times I believe. It is usually done in the early blood work (well it is in the southwest) Since you asked specifically about definitions I am going to give you the information from the Livestrong web site.

Lyme Disease Symptoms That Mimic Lupus

Lyme disease is a bacterial infection contracted from the bite of a disease-carrying tick. The causative bacterium is Borrelia burgdorferi. The symptoms of the various stages of Lyme disease mimic some of the common symptoms of the autoimmune disease systemic lupus erythematosus, more commonly known as lupus. Establishing the correct diagnosis involves examining the evolution of the symptoms, looking for distinguishing characteristics of the respective illnesses, and reviewing laboratory test results.
Joint Pain

The American College of Rheumatology notes arthritis as a symptom of both lupus and chronic Lyme disease. With both illnesses, the affected joints are painful and swollen. Chronic Lyme disease commonly affects the knees and, less commonly, other large joints. Lupus arthritis may also affect the knees, although the smaller joints of the hands, wrists, ankles and toes are also commonly involved. The arthritis of both lupus and chronic Lyme disease is cyclic; that is, it is present for a time and then remits. This is in stark contrast to other forms of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, which are chronic and progressive.

Whereas the Lupus Foundation of American reports approximately 90 percent of people with lupus experience joint or muscle pain during the course of the illness, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases states only 10 to 20 percent of people with chronic Lyme disease develop arthritis.

"The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals" lists fever as a symptom of both lupus and Lyme disease. Fever is most prominent with early-stage Lyme disease, and is less common with chronic Lyme disease. Intermittent fevers are a more persistent feature of lupus, typically occurring when the disease flares.
Fatigue

The Mayo Clinic notes fatigue presents as a common symptom of both Lyme disease and lupus. Lyme disease-associated fatigue is common during the early stages of the disease. It may persist in untreated patients who develop chronic Lyme disease. Lupus-associated fatigue is usually unrelenting and profound. Dr. D. Robinson, Jr. reported in a 2010 "Arthritis Care and Research" article that fatigue is a frequent health problem for nearly 90 percent of persons living with lupus.
Headache

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) lists headache as a symptom of Lyme disease. This symptom may persist in people who remain untreated and develop chronic infection. The Lupus Foundation of American notes headache is also a common symptom of lupus, which often affects the blood vessels of the head, precipitating headaches.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/112168-lyme-disease-symptoms-mimic-lupus/#ixzz1O8mFqe46

Toradoradi
06-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks mari, I read it... Don't think I retained it though. My mind is not my own today... Gah. The stress of this week slow taking it's toll on my body. Thanks for the info though I will have to read back through it once I find my mind again.

SandyR
06-02-2011, 01:19 PM
How Lyme Diseases Is Diagnosed - the Tests (http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/lyme/test.html)
Quoting from the site above.

When is it ordered?
Lyme disease testing is ordered when a person has symptoms suggestive of an infection with B. burgdorferi and lives in or has visited a region where deer ticks or black-legged ticks are common, especially when the person has recently been bitten by a tick.

Lyme disease tests are used to determine if a person with characteristic symptoms has been infected by Borrelia burgdorferi. If the doctor suspects a recent infection, then she may order both an IgM and IgG antibody blood test. If they are negative but symptoms persist, then the tests may be ordered again a few weeks later. Acute and convalescent samples may be used to track progression of the disease by looking for changes in the amount of antibody present. If the tests are positive, then a Western blot test is ordered to confirm the findings.
Lyme disease can sometimes be challenging to diagnose. If a person has removed a tick from his skin, had a known tick bite, and lives in or has visited an area of the country where Lyme disease is most prevalent, then the timing of the potential infection can be closely estimated. However, the tick is about the size of the head of a pin and the bite may not be noticed. Not everyone will develop the characteristic rash, and the symptoms that a person does have may be nonspecific and flu-like in the early stages, with joint pain that develops into chronic arthritis and/or with neurological symptoms that appear months later.
A blood test for antibodies to the bacterium is the preferred test for the diagnosis of Lyme disease. However, if a person has central nervous system symptoms, such as meningitis, then IgM, IgG, and Western blot testing may sometimes be performed on CSF.
Occasionally PCR (polymerase chain reaction) testing is performed on a sample because it is a more sensitive way of detecting an infection with B. burgdorferi. This method is useful in detecting the infection in samples such as fluid collected from a joint. It looks for the genetic material (DNA) of B. burgdorferi in the joint fluid (synovial fluid). This method, however has not been found to be sensitive for detecting the infection in samples of CSF.
Very rarely, a sample, such as a skin biopsy, may be cultured to grow the bacterium

Lyme Disease, SYMPTOMS & CHARACTERISTICS (http://www.canlyme.com/patsymptoms.html)
Quoting from the above site:
Symptoms may come and go in varying degrees with fluctuation from one symptom to another. There may be a period of what feels like remission only to be followed by another onset of symptoms.

The Tick Bite (fewer than 50% recall a tick bite or get/see the rash) Rash at site of bite
Rashes on other parts of your body
Rash basically circular, oval and spreading out (more generalized)
Raised rash, disappearing and recurring

Head, Face, Neck
Unexplained hair loss
Headache, mild or severe, Seizures
Pressure in head, white matter lesions in brain (MRI)
Twitching of facial or other muscles
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy, Horner's syndrome)
Tingling of nose, (tip of) tongue, cheek or facial flushing
Stiff or painful neck
Jaw pain or stiffness
Dental problems (unexplained)
Sore throat, clearing throat a lot, phlegm ( flem ), hoarseness, runny nose

Eyes/Vision
Double or blurry vision
Increased floating spots
Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes
Oversensitivity to light
Flashing lights/Peripheral waves/phantom images in corner of eyes

Ears/Hearing
Decreased hearing in one or both ears, plugged ears
Buzzing in ears
Pain in ears, oversensitivity to sounds
Ringing in one or both ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems
Diarrhea
Constipation
Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping) or Interstitial cystitis
Upset stomach (nausea or pain) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Musculoskeletal System
Bone pain, joint pain or swelling, carpal tunnel syndrome
Stiffness of joints, back, neck, tennis elbow
Muscle pain or cramps, (Fibromyalgia)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems
Shortness of breath, can't get full/satisfying breath, cough
Chest pain or rib soreness
Night sweats or unexplained chills
Heart palpitations or extra beats
Endocarditis, Heart blockage

Neurologic System
Tremors or unexplained shaking
Burning or stabbing sensations in the body
Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Weakness, peripheral neuropathy or partial paralysis
Pressure in the head
Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks
Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking
Increased motion sickness
Lightheadedness, wooziness

Psychological well-being
Mood swings, irritability, bi-polar disorder
Unusual depression
Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)
Feeling as if you are losing your mind
Over-emotional reactions, crying easily
Too much sleep, or insomnia
Difficulty falling or staying asleep
Narcolepsy, sleep apnea
Panic attacks, anxiety

Mental Capability
Memory loss (short or long term)
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration or reading
Going to the wrong place
Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)
Stammering speech
Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Reproduction and Sexuality
Loss of sex drive
Sexual dysfunction
Unexplained menstral pain, irregularity
Unexplained breast pain, discharge
Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being
Phantom smells
Unexplained weight gain, loss
Extreme fatigue
Swollen glands/lymph nodes
Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)
Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)
Symptoms seem to change, come and go
Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts
Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you have not since felt well.
Low body temperature

Allergies/Chemical sensitivities
Increased effect from alcohol and possible worse hangover