PDA

View Full Version : Myositis?

ritzbit
05-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Anyone else have problems with this. I feel like Im having problems with it again. My legs and arms and even under my arms are so weak and sore today. I dont know why. Anyone have a suggestion of what helps it?

Peridot20_Gem
05-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Hello ritzbit,

I've not got Myositis but i have things alot simular to it refering muscle etc but i did find this about it which explains alot more and at the bottom what helps to ease it in medication and physical fitness if your able to do it.

Terri xxx

Peridot20_Gem
05-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Myositis

Muscle weakness is the feeling of lack of strength of one or more muscles. It can be subjective, when a person feels weak, but has no measurable loss of strength. It is usually objective, when there is measurable loss of strength. In Myositis weakness is almost always objective. It can be generalised, involving most of the body, or can be localised to one particular area or side of the body. In Myositis weakness is usually generalised. Many conditions cause weakness including metabolic disturbances, a range of neurological disease including strokes, toxicity from a range of exposures and muscle diseases such as Myositis. So weakness is a common problem that is characteristic but not diagnostic of Myositis. Inflamed muscles do not function normally and are weak. Therefore at the onset of Myositis weakness is very characteristic. Damaged muscles are also weak and so weakness can occur in the later stages of Myositis. The causes of weakness in active Myositis are complex. It may result entirely from direct damage to the muscles. But there are other changes such as reduced blood flow to the muscles that can starve them of oxygen - this is called tissue hypoxia. Associated with the weakness is fatigue, which can occur as a general response to the illness, similar to the fatigue of a flu-like illness. It can also occur as a result of damaged muscles recovering less well - local fatigue to the muscles.

In addition with illness people lose their overall physical fitness - they become deconditioned. This also contributes to the feeling of weakness. Treatment with immunosuppressive drugs and steroids will reverse the muscle inflammation. So patients with Myositis will become less weak due to this part of their disease. Damaged muscle cannot be renewed by normal tissue. But the existing muscle tissue can become stronger than previously. This improvement will overcome the feeling of muscle weakness.

Physical training in Myositis has two actions. First of all it improves the strength of existing muscles. Second it improves overall fitness. Both of these will reduce muscle weakness. In addition the feeling of muscle weakness is complex and has a subjective component. As we all age, we know that the strength of early adult life may have left us, but we do not feel weak. This is because we have adjusted our expectations. The same is partly true of the weakness of treated Myositis. Therefore although damaged muscles may never be entirely normal, for all practical purposes treating inflammation of the muscles and improving physical fitness by exercise in established disease will minimise the weakness of ongoing Myositis.

steve.b
05-30-2011, 10:14 PM
with everything you have been through in the past few weeks. i am not suprised, you are sore.

the mental termoilalone would put many of us into a flare.

remember that Inflamed muscles do not function normally and are weak.

you may just be feeling rundown from everything that has happenned.

ritzbit
05-31-2011, 04:22 AM
Like every other day I have woken up barely able to get up. My legs are incredibly weak. They feel like logs. So heavy and hard to get up. I dont know why my myositis would be acting up.

Linda From Australia
05-31-2011, 04:28 AM
How were you diagnosed with Myositis?

Peridot20_Gem
05-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Hello ritzbit,

I am sorry your feeling like this and it's got to be terrible being young and it's definitely no pleasure trying to rise with legs feeling so heavy, i do wish you all the best with it. xxx

ritzbit
05-31-2011, 10:40 AM
My doctor always tells me the muscle inflammation is one of my flare markers and she finally gave it a name when I was flaring bad in March. I am feeling better today. I hope Im not feeling sick on graduation day this week.

Peridot20_Gem
05-31-2011, 12:18 PM
What a way though to have a flare by inflammation starting, i've had inflammation bad with DVT and it can be terrible but for a young person where your lifes hardly started with a good many other's but at least you know the signs after your Doctor saying.

Well i'm touching wood for you here ritzbit for luck on your graduation day and i'm wishing you deeply the very best.

((Hugs Terri)) xxxxx

ritzbit
05-31-2011, 12:40 PM
I just got a present in the mail. My pulmunologist sent me something today with some results over the past 2 years. I wish my rheumy did that. positive ana 1:2560 (diffuse/speckled) low c4, elevated CPK and adolase, positive SSB, positive RNP, positive Sm. Anyone want to help me figure out what all of these mean put together.

Graduation in 2 days lets hope I feel better then =)

Peridot20_Gem
05-31-2011, 12:55 PM
ritzbit,

Just looked up all your given results in one go to find what disease they're connected to and typed in what you'd put...the results show

Systemic Lupus Erthyematosus ...you've got what i've got mate and it affects you in different ways.

Peridot20_Gem
05-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm adding a Link on Systemic Lupus Erthyematosus on info plus a chart showing you what SLE is linked to regarding symptoms and you'll see your results at the bottom of the chart also, i do hope it helps mate.

http://www.acpmedicine.com/acp/pdf/med1504.pdf