PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Question

Nonna
05-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Has anyone had experience with hip replacements or knows someone who had it done? I'm gathering information at this point. The pain is getting worse so it's time to start thinking.

Thanks

Hugs and Good Thoughts
Living Life to the best of my ability

red246
05-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I haven't/don't know of anyone who has, but just wanted to send you (((hugs))) and prayers!

Linda From Australia
05-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Has your doctor suggested you should have one in the future?

Gizmo
05-28-2011, 07:46 AM
My daughter had a "surgical hip dislocation" which involved a similar incision and recovery time. She has Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, which made things much more complicated. If you do have the hip replacement, make sure to have a bedside commode, shower chair, and walker ahead of time. You will also need someone to stay with you for several weeks, as bending over, squatting and even crossing your legs are prohibited. My daughter's incision is about 12 inches long (it was originally about 10 but she has had to have the scar removed twice and reclosed because it wouldn't heal - that's the EDS). I would talk with the surgeon ahead of time about pain control, both in the hospital and at home. If you take narcotics on a regular basis you should ask for a consult with the hospital Pain Team - the doseages needed to control the pain may be much higher. Some anesthesiologists are good about that, others don't believe it and will let you wake up in severe pain before bumping up the dose. We've learned this the hard way!

I've heard the physical therapy is intense and unpleasant, but that the end result is worth it with hip replacements. My daughter came home with a machine that we strapped her leg into which automatically bent her knee and hip several times a minute. She used it about 8 hours a day. It's normally used for knee surgery, but her surgeon likes it for hips. While it was painful, it kept her hip from stiffening up and when it was time to stop using it (after a week), she kind of missed it.

Don't know if this helps. I'm a firm believer in knowing what to expect AFTER a procedure - something not all docs are good about until you are ready to leave the hospital.

Nonna
05-28-2011, 08:43 AM
My pelvis is tilted and my right leg is longer that the left. I've known this for years that my right hip would go bad. I haven't talked to a doc about it yet though. Just gathering information so I know what I'm facing. I looks to me like it's a big decision.

My thanks to Gizmo for the post. It's good to know

Peridot20_Gem
05-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Nona i've done my pelvis is twice through seizure's and it's on the tilt like yours and my right leg is longer than my left and with my legs how they are now i use a walking frame they help better.

Getting back to hip replacement's, my mom fell and the hip bone dislocated and the bone went through her leg, so they did the hip for her there and then and within 2yrs it started waring again and they wanted to do another hip replacement and my mom refused, she found it more painful.