PDA

View Full Version : question???

Tracyl50
05-22-2011, 05:52 PM
when you think you can't handle work anymore, do i go to the doctor and request disability?? or do i just keep going back and forth to the Dr's let them tell me its time.. sometimes the stress from work keeps getting me sick I'm a lab surgeon, so i work with my hands and my fingers. and at times they hurt me badly and every morning my fingers are swallow .. i also sit under florescent lighting all day long.. My Dr tells me i need a new job. but who is going to hire me now. I'm missing a lot of work i have FMLA now. I told my Dr who will hire me. and where can i go there isn't any jobs out there... its so frustrating to deal with ... so right now I'm trying to pay off bills and save a little nest .. but its not easy... why wont my Dr just pull me out ?? why would he keep telling me to find a new job ... i don't get it....

tgal
05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
That is such a tough question Tracy. Getting your doctor to agree that you can't work is a big part of getting on disability however even when he/she does it takes a very long time to get the SS Administration to agree. There are so many hoops to jump through and it will most likely take somewhere between 1 and 3 years depending on what diagnosis you have and what records you have to back it up.

The first thing that has to happen is that you do need to get your doctor on board. Tell him/her exactly what you just told us and that you think it is time for disability. It will be a long road but I have to say that, for me, it has been worth it. There is no way I could work now. I wish I could but I know better. You will know when the time is right and it sounds like you are getting there. You are your advocate in this just like in everything else Lupus related. Stand up for yourself and tell them what you need. You know your body better than any doctor.

SandyR
05-23-2011, 07:01 AM
A tough question, but really only one that you probably would have to ask him since only you know if you can even afford to stop working while waiting on your disability claim. If you are able to, it might be a good idea to see a financial planner to determine if you can afford to stop working or to calculate how much longer you might need to work to be able to live off of your disability income.

Nonna
05-24-2011, 04:12 PM
I like this thread; I'm at the same point. When do you stop and how do you do it

steve.b
05-25-2011, 02:47 AM
for me, stopping was a hard mental descision.
it meant i was no longer able to financially keep my wife and children.

it was decided by my inability to saftely drive a truck.
i was doing night deliveries. when that was no longer safe, i had to stop.
(i now drive only when i have to.)

it is not easy to accept we are no longer as capable as we thought we were.
i still think about work, almost every day, it will never happen, but i dream.

balance up the finacial benifit, with the quality of life.
my belief is "do not die on the job"
"you need to be able to enjoy your self after work"
"if work is killing you.............stop"

it is not easy financially
it is not easy mentally.
it is very confusing.
it is worth it....
stopping work is the best thing i did for me.