PDA

View Full Version : Tramacet: New Drug I've come across

traceeo
12-09-2005, 09:15 PM
I just came across a drug that really works and I only take it when I feel the "lupus headache" and extreme aches and pains that asprin doesn't help.

I had been on Prednisone for 9 months and finally my DR said I had to get off it because of the long term affects and because I was so young. I have been taking Plaquenel since my diagnosis last Feb. which I still continue to take. Once I tappered off the Prednisone because my lupus is active the Dr wanted me to go on Imuran. After researching it I was quite scared of the cancerous affects and thought I would just change my lifestyle a bit and try to manage my lupus through alot of daily rest and exercise etc.. I talked to my Dr and told her I am not going to go on Imuran if it won't harm my body aside from me putting up with the aches and pains. I also asked her if theirs a medication out there that I can take ONLY when I feel a flare coming on or experience one. She perscribed me something that is new to Canada called Tramacet. I have tried it 3 different times and the next day after taking it I had felt 90% better (when usually my flares would last atleast 3-4 days before I started feeling somewhate energized to even get out of bed). I hope it continues to be that way because I'd rather take as little medications as possible.

I hope this helps you guys aswell.

catlady4520
12-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Is Tramacet like Ultracet? Wasn't sure if it's a narcotic derivative or not. I'm going to look on WebMD to see if it's offered in the US. How much do you take a day? Will definitely ck into it!

traceeo
12-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Tramacet is avaliable in the US for sure. My DR. studied down there and is from there so most of her knowledge has to do with the drugs avaliable down there. In the US it is not considered a narcotic. It is similar to morphine except not such scary sideaffects like addiction etc. In Canada it hasn't been made clear if its a narcotic or not-my pharmacist said she looked into it and coudln't find a clear understanding.

When I take it I take up to 3 a day. I got 30 of them to start and they had to be ordered in specially, but that only took 2 days to arrive. I didn't notice to many side affects. Just make sure you are hydrated and keep taking water as it does constipate you otherwise.

It's definitly something I recommend trying. Its relativly good in price as for you aren't taking it EVERY day so its like a quick fix.

Hope that helps!

catlady4520
12-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks! I'm going to look on WebMD and also on my company's site - Express Scripts. I need some relief! My hands and hip hurts so bad today, I can barely stand it although it's warmer today than it has been all week. In Colo, if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 min and it will change!

branch
12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Please describe your "lupus headache" i have these and have put them off to blood pressure, but they don't feel exactly like that. Thanks

traceeo
12-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow! The headaches are just horrible. I will try to describe it. I just had one two days.

First off I am almost always destined to get one whenever I get stressed or don't have enough sleep. With Christmas coming this past weekend I went home to be with family and because I was doing so much and even though I knew I was tired and should have said "I have to go lay down" I didn't, and low and behold at 5 a.m. I woke up because my head was pounding so hard.

I have had migrains before and they are similiar but I can distinguish the difference between the two. With the headache it is usually a piercing pain over my right eye, deep in the centre of my head.... it almost feels like theirs a piece of ply wood in there (good description??) When I have them I have to be alone in bed or somewhere and just lay. I never fall asleep until about 3-4 hours after laying there. Its horrible. They last atleast a day (as I was saying when I get them I take the tramacet) and the next day I usually feel better. I had one two days ago and I still have a mild headache but nothing that is keeping me in bed. It's so frusterating, I know unfortunatly when I have them noone can bother me because its so painful and I feel so exhausted I don't have patients I get very cranky. (So sad!!) These headaches have caused me TONS of days off work, when I first was diagnosed I would have them for about a week along with the aches and pains- YUCK!!!

But sorry I got off topic... my neck gets super stiff aswell and between my shoulder blades are almost always so sensitive I can barley have someone touch me or I am saying "ouch!!"

What are your symptoms??