PDA

View Full Version : An update after my travels!

Nat
05-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a good day!! As some of you know, I headed off to Europe a few weeks ago and just wanted to update you all about my experience of traveling with lupus. I was worried before I left about how I would go with symptoms etc with the weather in the places I was going and being much more active...turns out my body likes the cold cold cold weather!! I had absolutely no issues with any lupus related symptoms while I was in Estonia or the Netherlands. Barcelona was the only time that I had an issue and all it was, was a swollen finger (which I get in the humidity/heat here). Estonia was freezing! 2-3 degrees during the day and windy as anything which made it even colder. But that meant no fat joints for me!!
Even though I don't suffer with fatigue at home, I was worried about pushing myself too much while I was away. I'm proud to say that I was able to do a 4 hour walking tour through the Old Town of Tallinn (Estonia) without any dramas. I did bail on walking through an art museum towards the end of the tour because a) I was bored and b) I wore the least appropriate shoes for walking through cobblestoned streets for 4 hours! I also managed to walk the streets of Barcelona and Amsterdam for hours every single day I was there!
One drama I found though was me being on warfarin. I have antiphospholipid syndrome and the week before I left my INR went through the roof (5) so my doctor was trying to settle it before I left. Unfortunately the day I left it was low (2.1) and I was going to be spending most of the next 24 hours on a plane (fun times for a clot-prone person). Anyway so the docs suggestion was to buy a monitor before I left (which was about 3 hours before I was due at the airport) or attempt to get my blood tested while I was over there. I couldn't get travel insurance to insure me for my pre-existing medical conditions so I was not looking forward to how much this was going to cost me. Turns out medical care in Estonia is cheap as chips! 8 euro for my blood test. Not the same for Spain though...230 euro but you have to wait at the emergency room and try to find someone who speaks english. I didn't end up getting my blood tested in spain because I cant speak spanish and no one at the hospital knew what I was asking them to do...particularly worrying for those who actually require medical care!
So I've returned home now, only been back a couple of days and suffering with the jetlag but other than that, things are great. No noticeable lupus symptoms at the moment and my rheumy said that the blood tests I had done before I left were "all in my favour" have to follow that up with him the next time I see him but!
Anyway just wanted to share my little bit of luck :-)

steve.b
05-19-2011, 05:35 AM
glad you had a good time.

wheres the pics??

Linda From Australia
05-19-2011, 05:36 AM
What a fantastic healthy holiday you had then. I am waiting for the photos to appear

Merrilyn OZ
05-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Great news, waiting on those pics too. Perhaps we West Aussies need a cold break every now and then.

Nat
05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
When I find my camera cord to get my pics on the computer ill definitely post them!!

magistramarla
05-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi Nat,
I'm glad that you had such a good experience and so much fun.
I was the same way when we traveled in Greece. Perhaps the adrenalin rush of all the excitement has something to do with it?
Hugs,
Marla